Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

S/C or turbo?

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
turbos just for four-pots? give them a little more cred than that, they are just as efficient as superchargers and then some....

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
That's right you'll make more power with a turbo no problems about it, only thing a turbo fan type supercharger has going for it is less pipes, since it's spun directly off the engine it only spins in a linear line with the engines rpm. A Turbo can be flat out and pulling monster torque by 2500 rpm and is only powered by wasted energy and the reason you feel "lag" is because the torque might double in a few hundred revs but that's only extra power the superchager wont be making that low down, there's hundreds of Buick V6's running in the 9's in the states with single turbos and half of them in FWD cars

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
savage1987 said:
true

and true

well put
the ecotech sounds better to rev than the 3800 block as well :w00t:

I love the sound of the ecotech at high rpm, sounds really throaty like a modern sporty V6 for some reason, heaps better than the original Buick

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
well said greenfoam, although i have a different opinion on what 'lag' is....i believe it is the amount of time between depressing the throttle and the turbo recieving enough exhaust gas to create boost, then that boost pressure has to make it through the induction piping to your engine. that is what i believe lag is....

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
But you still have your orignal power more or less, might loose a couple hp from the turbo restricting the exhaust a little so I mean your not loosing anything accelerating to the rpms where the turbo comes on hard, even a fairly big t04 can start to boost before 2000 rpm

dwilz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 c4
How can you possably compare turbo to supercharger i run a vs ecotec twin turbo which runs 1.46 60' 10.46s 1/4 and full street trim is there a supercharged set up equivilent?

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
no there isn't, not yet anyways...but who is saying it's impossible? in fact, with an auto v6 and a big centrifugal charger it is quite possible....dont know why it hasnt been done.....by the way dwilz, do you mind if i ask who built your engine?

dwilz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 c4
EcotecManiac said:
no there isn't, not yet anyways...but who is saying it's impossible? in fact, with an auto v6 and a big centrifugal charger it is quite possible....dont know why it hasnt been done.....by the way dwilz, do you mind if i ask who built your engine?
Vince Rigoli from V&E Rigoli

dwilz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 c4
There is someone in Melbourne who has spent a lot of time in a supercharged set and the car is awsum but could only manage a 11.4