Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

S/C VX power loss at higher speeds

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Could you just cap it and clamp it till you get it fixed

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Just checked the Pacemaker website. The V6 competition S/C header shouldn't have provision for EGR. Strange....

Do you know exactly which header/part number you were supplied?

Mid-life Chrysler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Supercharged Calais
Awesome guys, it would be great if that was my very simple solution. I'll head to the exhaust shop tomorrow and will let him know that we've spoken. He's a solo store owner that is an honest guy but slowly going broke courtesy of buy-n-fit whole systems. I try to throw him work where possible but still expect it to be up-to-scratch.

Again, this one afternoon has been more educational than several hours spent chatting to various 'experts'. Cheers!

Mid-life Chrysler

Reaction score
Members Ride
FYI, the headers were PH 5061, allegedly suited to the V6 S/C automatic. Just hope that's what I actually got!

As a footnote, I've checked the headers and the diameters seem to match the PH 5061 specs. ???

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Seems odd. The competition headers have the 4 bolt flange on the end of the header so it should be fairly obvious if they are the correct ones and have slightly bigger pipes :) Strangely although the website leaves the EGR option blank for the competition headers it does have it in the picture??

The various "experts" are all trying to make a buck, we aren't :)

Mid-life Chrysler

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi again,

Alas, the plot thickens. I did some more background research and also spoke to my exhaust guy. It seems we were barking up the wrong tree and the PH 5061 headers are fitted with the EGR valve option due to them suiting various models, some with EGR compatibility and some without (hence it being blank on the PM website). He explained that the fitting/extension is actually sealed and that the installer drills through it if required.

He also said that, had there been a leak there, the car would have been bloody loud and generally running like crap. I finished work, ran a length of wire into the tube and found that it was indeed sealed, about 5mm below the opening that I initially felt with my finger. Thus, another false lead.

Anyway, I've bought some PEC sensors and hope to have them here mid-week. Then, it's swap time and fingers crossed! If that fails I'm at a loss once more.

Cheers. :)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well he got one part right, it's running like crap :)

I generally don't recommend the PEC sensors, genuine Delphi/Bosch sensors are ideal and will go the distance.

I know that Alloytec engines had issues with fouling O2 sensors when fitting Pacemakers. Figured PM had sorted this issue by now.

Mid-life Chrysler

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bugger, I took a gamble on the sensors as I wasn't sure which to buy. The genuine ones were an extra $50 or so dollars so I thought I'd try the PEC at the reduced cost and still (from the few reviews I read) decent quality. Either way, it'll pinpoint whether the sensors are my issue and can always be replaced down the track with better ones.

I've read other posts here that also talk about the fouling problem when fitting new headers......I truly hope this is where it all ends but who knows? As I said, I'll give it a go and will keep you posted.

Thanks for all your help. :)

Mid-life Chrysler

Reaction score
Members Ride
Haha! Women and cars, I continue to make poor choices! :) I bought them earlier today on eBay so am stuck now.......sounds like I might need to upgrade in the coming months and get some better ones fitted. I did actually look at Bosch and Warner ones too (same price) but opted for the underdog. Maybe not so smart.