Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

S/C VX power loss at higher speeds

Mid-life Chrysler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Supercharged Calais
Shall do.......I did debate getting the proper ones but had the wife on my case (every cent counts!)........I'll just have to 'buy first, confess later' next time around! :)

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Shall do.......I did debate getting the proper ones but had the wife on my case (every cent counts!)........I'll just have to 'buy first, confess later' next time around! :)

Your first mistake.....confessing at all.....

Mid-life Chrysler

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey guys,

Okay, the sensors arrived today so I immediately replaced the old ones. Unfortunately, after resetting the ECU and going for a lengthy drive, nothing changed. The car idled relatively smoothly and acceleration from 0-60km/h was fairly normal (as has been the case). Again, once I reached 80km/h+ it struggled, dropping to very low revs and being reluctant to increase revs/change gears. To add to the joy, the check engine light came on for the first time since this drama began. When I returned home, I did a quick check of air intake connections/fittings but all seemed okay.

To summarize from day one - 10psi pulley fitted, car okay. CAI fitted, car okay. Headers/exhaust fitted, car crap. Taken to dyno mob, run aborted as car ran very lean, pulley blamed and told to get chip and larger injectors. Standard 6psi pulley put back on car to fix lean issue......nothing changed. O2 sensors considered a possible cause......replaced today and again no change.

Any further wisdom that you all can offer would be hugely appreciated......personally, every failed attempt leaves me more confused as to what's gone wrong.

Cheers!

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
If the engine light has come on its should've logged a fault code

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
It could possibly have damaged the dfi / coil packs ? I remember I had an exhaust job done a while back drive in car perfect drive out car now loud but ran like **** if u planted it, otherwise low throttle drove okay (but u could tell something was off) turned out that during the welding etc (battery not taken out OFCOURSE) they fried the dfi module but not enough to kill it just to "wound" it I tried so many bloody things! Anyways try a resistance check a cross each pair of contacts and check with specs..... Although sometimes that can come back okay and still be stuffed....

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Maybe have a look for earths which have t been put back on possibly in the change over process I know there's a couple on the back of the heads?

Mid-life Chrysler

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hello,

Firstly, cheers for the ongoing communication. :)

I've spoken to my mechanic and mentioned the check light.......as Billythakid stated, there should be now be fault codes registered so the mechanic told me to book in for a diagnostic session. He's hoping we'll more closely identify the issue rather than continuing the pot-luck buying/replacing that I've been doing.

Thanks also to Bowen......the coil packs are the one thing I didn't check although plugs/leads were okay. It would be a pain in the ass if it all ended up back where it started, but at this stage any answer would be good!

I'll hopefully get the car booked in within the next few days and will be back with an update at that stage. Wish me luck and thanks again!

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
You can check the codes yourself by bridging pins 5 and 6 and counting the flashes
There is a thread on here about how to do it

Mid-life Chrysler

Reaction score
Members Ride
Howdy,

First and foremost, you're all bloody legends and have saved me time and money already, so thanks! :)

As suggested above, after chasing down the relevant thread I grabbed the trusty paperclip and jotted down the fault codes. There were only two, namely 13 and 63. Amusingly, they relate to both O2 sensors (no signal) even though they were replaced last week.

So, as I trust that the sensors are both okay and in working order, does this relate back to the headers and the fact they're the bigger comp set (1 3/4" primaries)? If not, I'm unsure why neither O2 sensor is registering.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks guys!

Btw, did some checking on the threads after this post and some relate back to earth/wiring issues, especially if both sensors vanish. Another avenue of attack, I guess.

Last edited: