Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

s1 bottom with s2 top, which tune?

slo_firo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Ute
Hey there,

Im putting s2 heads onto a low km s1 block this week (free and in good condition) basically because theres no engines pre 300kms around atm

This is to go in my vg which is s2 (didnt want to change the radiator setup ect..) i know it will run on my s2 tune but would i be better off to run it on a s1 tune due to the cam ect.....

Oh and i know its a big stuff around lol.... but i wanted to rip the heads off and check em out anyway as this motor will be boosted shortly, sump is off atm to get oil drain welded in.....

Cheers

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Only the very early Series 1's had a different cam not all of them, it seems to be the ones with the double valve springs had the different cam

slo_firo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Ute
Only the very early Series 1's had a different cam not all of them, it seems to be the ones with the double valve springs had the different cam

Cool cheers greenfoam, Im pretty sure it had singles (took them off after a few beers and didnt take much notice) ill check when i get home tonight

Aliens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 1988
Yes the ones with double valve springs are the ones with the original cam, but it's *possible* that in the 20-year lifetime of an engine that's already out of its car, the heads may have been changed.

A better way to find out is to check the engine number (VH1-something) located on the slant in the engine block, on the front of the block, below where the coil goes and above where the A/C compressor/pulley goes.

I don't believe you can just swap Series 2 heads onto any Series 1 engine. Certainly the Series 2 had revised coolant passages.

It's not really hard to convert the exterior cooling system (hoses etc) so that your S2 cooling system can be used with a S1 engine, if you have spare parts such as T-adapters, hoses, and hose-blockers.

With the S2 exterior cooling system you only need to think about the engine's heater in & out pipes, as well as the engine's radiator in & out pipes. The rest can be blocked off etc.

The air-bleed line of the S1 (normally leading to the top passenger side of the Surge Tank) can be blocked off if using a S2 exterior cooling system (I've done this once before and the engine always can on Notch-1 on hot days after lots of driving).

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo

Yes i had a 4/1989 model vn motor, it had Double valve springs, holden said there just a dampner inside it, now my currant motor is a 24/11/89 and doesnt have them, but i did get to keep the cam out of the old s1 i had.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah it's not a true double spring but a round dampner, but the change in springs seems to have came with the change in cam (and some other stuff)

slo_firo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Ute
Ok double checked and it does indeed have the double springs, it will be fine to run on my s2 tune still? it wont be too long before i hassel people for turbo tunes anyway

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah of course it will run on it:p there's stuff all difference between the cams in the end as far as cams go, the series one tune is more agressive in timing tho. If you can solder I can send you a series 1 eprom for price of postage anyway. I'm pulling them out of memcals all the time, they are just laying on the floor all over the place

slo_firo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Ute
Thanks heaps for the offer greenfoam but ill just hold out for a turbo tune, just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to cause any damage after all this effort,

Cheers for your help!!