Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

S1NGLE Version 2 (new daily VL Calais)

YBNV.4

"S1NGLE"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais / VL Calais / WB Deville
Well thought i'd throw up a thread on the car i picked up last night!! :)

I wasnt looking for a VL Calais but id always loved them in this colour and when i spotted this one i had to have a closer look, with being in such original mint condition i was curious on the asking price so i gave the bloke a call and was pleasently suprised. Made an offer and the rest is history as its now sitting in my driveway and booked in for a RW in the morning :)

heres the details and a photo of the way its sits at the moment... although my best mate is on my case to transfer motor, box, interior and wheels from the VR into it lol. he has a valid point so iv started to stock pile parts i need to make it happen but untill then its my new Daily driver

Make / Model: Series 1 Vl Calais
Spedo: Original 163,000km
Colour: Silver Slate
Bodykit: Standard calais
Engine Type: NA Inj 3.0
Engine Mods: K&N Panel
Power: slow
Exhaust: 2.5" cat back
Gearbox: Standard Auto
Diff: Standard
Brakes: Bendix Pads
Suspension: Monroe GT Gas shocks
Wheels/Tyres: Polished calais rims with 2" portawalls, bridgestone RE92 rubber
Interior: stock S1 grey calais with VR door pods
Stereo: Kenwood 7" motorised screen, Morel 6.5" splits housed in VR door pods, Morel 6.5" coaxials in MDF shelf, Option Audio 4x75rms, stinger 0ga and rca's
Other Mods: None

Future mods: Maybe a little, Maybe lots!!!!

vl.jpg

Last edited:

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
dont ruin it with a 3.8 buick. cost a fortune in a conversion unless u do it all yourself and know how to wire in a new loom and ecu etc etc.

clean looking vl calais man. but dont listen to your mate.. thats my opinion :p

but your car/ your money/ your call.

goodluck with it ill keep an eye on this thread in whatever your decision.

YBNV.4

"S1NGLE"
Reaction score
Members Ride
haha na no buick mate!! i would never waste my time and money putting one in a VL ;) the VR has a high comp 304 i build myself thats only done 15k, leather coulson interior etc.. http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs/167053-s1ngle-built-fun.html heres a pic of it:

detailed.jpg

took the VL in for its first RW check today and it passed with flying colours :) extreamly suprised when the only thing was a bad earth on the stop light lol fixed it there and then.. the previouse owner had only done 1000km since he brought it so said it should be pretty spot on and he wasnt wrong!! booked in for rego tomoro so as of tomorrow it will start its daily duties

anyways heres a few more photo's i took tonight (excuse the guard cover it was service time)

1-4.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

7-2.jpg

Last edited:

YBNV.4

"S1NGLE"
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers guys :)

I was having a few stubbies with a mate tonight and decided to polish up the spare calais rim, wrapt with how it came up and I finished sanding with 1500grit.. Going to grab some 2000grit in the morning and do the 4 on the car to :) and the rocker cover if I get enough time!!!

Also been thinking of keeping the 304 I built either in the VR calais or put it in the WB stato, so brought another complete RB30 today. Plan is to pull it down to a bare block and build it up, aim is for 10's!!!

YBNV.4

"S1NGLE"
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers mate, pretty happy with the find!! :)

Well picked up the motor tonight and dropped it out to a mates shed where I'm going to be working on it, as soon as I get the chance I'll get out there and strip it down and get the block in to my machinist for a tidy up and figure out what path to take...

Ohh and I'll get some pics up soon of it with the polished rims!! Still needs a lowering lol

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
clean lookin calais mate, you will find 10's wont be all that hard, fast lil cars they are, ive got a calais turbo daily, hopefully one day when i am finished playing with the caprice ill start playing with the calais a bit

YBNV.4

"S1NGLE"
Reaction score
Members Ride
10's won't be but essentially I want into the 9's :)
Are the jatco's ok for 9's when built properly?

I have a lot to learn with RB's, or anything boost related really lol