Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

S2 cooling system on S1 questions

YURNXT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cortina
Hi guys i have a s1 motor currently has a s2 overflow tank and s2 radiator with the radiator cap.

Now question it doesn't seem like it's grabbing water from the tank? I lost quite a bit of water the last few days due to leaking hose and got air in the F$&$en system which is a prick to fix.

Anyone ever had this setup before I don't know how it works? As opposed to the s1 reservoir tank, would I be better off going back to the s1 tank but keeping the radiator? As bleeding this system is a prick and a half.

I know the overflow tank builds up pressure I just don't know if it's pulling water if it needs it.

dat111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
i swear it doesnt work, becuase it doesnt have a radtior cap only a filler bottle and a whole diff hose set up, but i may be wrong

matty94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual VN Berlina
the systems are diffrent i tryed running s2 overflow tank and radiator in a s1 had nothing but trouble your best of just sticking with the cooling system the car was made with. you carnt use the s1 reservoir tank with the s2 radiator as then theres no overflow bottle.

YURNXT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cortina
What problems did you get as I haven't really had a problem up untill the leak but I'm just going to re bleed it and it will fix the temp fluctuations.
My heater doesn't work could this be a problem caused by it?
I just suppose I'll have to keep an eye on the water.
Tell you the truth I have had no problems yet as I have had air in the lines twice and re bleed the system and was fine but yeah it's not getting water when it needs but yeah I'll just top water up every now and then.

matty94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual VN Berlina
wheres it leaking from a stuffed heater tap could leak and make the heater not work. you might not have problems but its just the s2 radiator isnt made to work with the s1 bottles and stuff the way the overflow system works is diffrent.

YURNXT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cortina
Nah it was a hose clamp loose and heater tap is new, umm I have convertered the radiator and overflow to s2 I have s2 heads the only thing is not s2 is the manifold with thermostat at the back.

What problems did you have?

matty94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual VN Berlina
heater not working allways overheating in the end the bottle split but that was s2 radiator with s1 bottles you should be alright if you have changed it all over.

YURNXT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cortina
Yeah I'll give it a bleed and see how we go I'll replace the overflow hoses as I just found a kink lol now I know why it wasn't feeding water it was zip tied against radiator support zzz
Should be good now
Thanks for your input