Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SA - Low level speeding fines drop - but double demerits

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
It's a catch 22. Increasing fines just means more people won't pay them and the government has to chase the money and hand over to collection agencies. Money owing on fines is just going up and up anyway. Bump the demerits and it's almost instant pain and then up to you to argue to get then scrubbed. There is some logic behind the system.

get them back?i give up, i will never mention demerits again.

Last edited by a moderator:

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
I'm actually against this because of law changes made a while back.

It's not the old system where you get an offense lose your license and your back on it in 3 months.... oh no no.

You lose your license in SA and your regressed one step. So if your on your full license and you cop say two speeding fines under the new system your license is gone for 3 months.

And all this debacle saying it will make better drivers... it wont but beside the point... you dont get your license back, you get regressed to P plates and your locked on them for 3 years.

Also under our laws the term lose your license is also ambiguous, I managed to incur 1 offense for speeding going 13km over the speed limit on p1's.... they wanted to take my license, I argued and proved I was only doing 3 over the limit and copped 1 point and a big fine.

a few weeks off my full license I copped a driving with a phone fine.... while parked with the engine off.... 3 demerit points and a massive fine.

I actually went to court and won that, but before the court case I was ordered to hand my license in to the magistrate so I cant then say I lost it and keep driving with the license until caught like so many kids do.

I actually won my court case and was told I would have my license handed back to me at my local DMV go pick it up.

Got there and was told that will be $280 thanks... im like hey what? and got told under new laws that passed (this is now 3 years ago) a month ago anyone losing their license will be knocked back to the previous stage, so if you are on your full license, you are on your p's, if you were on p's your now back to L's.

And your locked on your p's for 3 years as further punishment.

Turns out even winning the case, handing over your license to an authorized officer counts as a loss of license.

So what this new system will probably do is create a TON more P platers.