Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

scaley deposit on spark plugs

canabl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR/II 5L UTE
Hi again guys,
Finally got my ute running again after a long list of problems from purchasing it.
I had sequential gas injection installed and shortly after started experiencing overheating then a blown inlet manifold gasket.
The car was idling high due to the leak on the passenger bank.
Just got it back and replaced the radiator with a 60mm alloy race unit, dual el thermos, davis craig thermo fan switch unit, cast fin water pump and new thermosatat.
Took her for a spin for half hour and temp never passed the first notch over cold. the thermos are set to turn on and off around this level but will not adjust much higher.
I just pulled the plugs out to adjust and check them and noticed the last three on the passenger bank had a grey bubbly or scally deposit on them. Im hoping this is not a blown head gasket. the car is running great, slight hesitation on idle when you rev it but it is in need of a tune by someone who knows what they are doing as the installer has been nothing but troubles.
Anyones thoughts would be appreciated.

ImAHoon!

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Camry?
head gasket is my opinion

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont

canabl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR/II 5L UTE
great information

Thanx pub24/7, the adbert was great help, funny thing was whilst driving last week to Dubbo i had the cabin fill with smoke, after checking the bay i noticed an oil leak from the rocker cover on that bank, it may have been sucked into inlet also on the inside of the rocker.
I have wire brushed them and put em back in and will check them next week after a few stings around the area.
just bought some headers from ebayto throw on instead of the cast manifolds so now will start on the exhaust side of things.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Don't ever clean spark plugs with a wire brush. It can leave deposits on the ceramic causing voltage leak. A pretty good way of wrecking perfectly fine plugs.

canabl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR/II 5L UTE
cleaning plugs

What is the best way to clean a plug of the scale and such? i would just throw a new set in myself as the price of them is nothing, just these were only 500km's and a month old......

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
clean it with carby cleaner, metho, something that dries or evapourates quick brake cleaner could be used and air helps alot regap your plugs aswell to correct specs

ImAHoon!

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Camry?
don't regap used plugs, the metal would have been effected by the heat in the combustion chamber, and is likely to break off in the engine if you try adjusting them.

ignore everything said by someone who suggests regapping used plugs.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
your right should have thought about that. I can honestly say i never regapped old plugs i dont what i was thinking :p You should buy new ones anyways

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You can clean them with wet n dry or an emery board.