Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Scan tool, what to buy?

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
I had a quick search on the forum, but couldn't what I was needing.

What scan reader/clearing tools are people using, I have a ELM327 with a paid Torque app, works on my WK Caprice V8, and V6 VZ, but wouldn't work on a friends VY V6, so I am thinking of spending some money to upgrade, some say the MD802 is good from ebay or the AL419, or a Tech 2 from aliexpress, I am trying a Snap on Ethos from a mate this weekend. The plan is to sell cars and upgrade to VE V8 Calais or WM Caprice later.

Cheers for any help autel al419.JPGelm327.JPGtech2.jpg

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Tech 2. Easy choice.

What you can see and do on the Tech 2 is quite astonishing.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I have the MaxiDiag Elite MD802. This tool diagnosed the faulty EGR valve in my missus VY ute where several other tools completely missed it or wouldn't communicate with the vehicle. It reads and clears all DTC's on the engine, transmission, ABS and SRS (airbag). You can view a **** load of live data with this tool also.
The big draw card for me was being able to use it on a wide variety of vehicle makes. While I am no expert in the use of these diagnostic tools, it is a very simple tool to use and does a lot more than I will ever use it for.
The only down side is that it is not Holden specific and will obviously not do the things a Tech 2 will do, like code your keys for example.

Personally, if I had just commodores in the family I would probably have bought a Tech 2. But with a mix of commodores and some other European and Japanese trash in family driveways, this tool certainly fit the bill and has proven to be a very worthwhile investment already

### Be careful if you decide to purchase an Ebay Tech 2. I have read that the ones selling on ebay are a very poor copy, and are quite a bit cheaper than the real thing and have been known to cause more problems than what they are worth. No personal experience here just what I have read and heard around the traps

Last edited:

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
I got a Tech 2 from a mate to mess with for a few weeks, and a Snap on Ethos from another mate for a week or so, but the Ethos had communication error with a VY ute that has a SRS light on, he said it was on before he changed the seats over which could explain the pre tensioner codes. A screen shot from the Tech 2 shows the faults but it wouldn't clear.

I worked at Holden from VB-VL commodores and they had a simple count the flashing LED's for a code, is there a site somewhere on how to use the Tech 2, I have watch a few youtube clips but not much help so far, someone on another forum gave a detailed steps how to do it but was for a VT with a Tech 1.

Attachments

• IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 840

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I can't help with using a Tech 2, but I had a look in my manual at the codes. There are too many references to certain connectors and terminals to copy it word for word and you will obviously need the manual for reference, so I just abbreviated
These are listed as possible causes...
CODE 21: Check certain connections and circuits, replace clock spring. Last resort is to try a new SDM
CODE 53: Check certain connections and circuits, replace tensioner if faulty. Last resort is to try a new SDM
CODE 69: Same as code 53

This is the manual I sourced the info from
Max Ellery Manual.jpg

It is possible you might need to replace one or more of the following:
Clockspring in steering column
Seat tensioners
SDM = Sensing Diagnostic Module. I think that this is what Holden call the airbag module

Hope this helps out

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
I'm using Tazzi's range of software with the OBDII and ALDL cables.

Found it alot more reliable for fault finding so far and far more relaible for airbag faults then any scan tool ive tried outside of an actual tech2

Id say grab this when its back up for sale in the next few weeks if you want something to cover a decent amount of things.

VT VX VY VZ Body Diagnostics | Commodore Cluster Programming

I still use my bluetooth OBDII and Torque on my phone for live data monitoring and track recording though.

And the ELM327 wont work on any pre-vz v6 commodore because they are not OBDII, you need to use ALDL (OBDI)

Karl Robbers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy s ute
I have the MaxiDiag Elite MD802. This tool diagnosed the faulty EGR valve in my missus VY ute where several other tools completely missed it or wouldn't communicate with the vehicle. It reads and clears all DTC's on the engine, transmission, ABS and SRS (airbag). You can view a **** load of live data with this tool also.
The big draw card for me was being able to use it on a wide variety of vehicle makes. While I am no expert in the use of these diagnostic tools, it is a very simple tool to use and does a lot more than I will ever use it for.
The only down side is that it is not Holden specific and will obviously not do the things a Tech 2 will do, like code your keys for example.

Personally, if I had just commodores in the family I would probably have bought a Tech 2. But with a mix of commodores and some other European and Japanese trash in family driveways, this tool certainly fit the bill and has proven to be a very worthwhile investment already

### Be careful if you decide to purchase an Ebay Tech 2. I have read that the ones selling on ebay are a very poor copy, and are quite a bit cheaper than the real thing and have been known to cause more problems than what they are worth. No personal experience here just what I have read and heard around the traps
I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on an MD 802 all systems and was wondering if you could confirm if you have actually cleared SRS codes and warning light with yours? Most of the online material says it should, but I've seen a couple of snippets that introduce a bit of doubt.
Hopefully you can confirm it's suitability.

Karl Robbers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy s ute
Well, I pulled the trigger on an Autel MD802 and I wish I had never heard or seen the name at this point.
The tool has never worked from the time I received it and up to this point I have spent around 16 hours stuffing around with the suggestions provided by their customer support. Most of their responses have been aimed at finding fault on my part rather than fixing the numerous issues I am experiencing. I bought direct from Autel Australia and paid the price premium expecting a trouble free experience.
The only module my top of the line MD802 will communicate with is the ABS module. It likes the ABS module so much that it will communicate even when the module is unplugged!
If I wanted this much grief, I would have picked the cheapest ebay seller with the worst feedback and bought from them!
I can accept that there can be unforseen issues, but I canot accept their attitude that it must be my fault.
If Autel do not step up and acknowledge there is a problem shortly, I will be using every means at my disposal to return the item and recover my money.