Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

scofflaw hoon ignores police instructions

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
i read about this last week, but i don't think it ever got posted up.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/no-time-to-stop-im-in-a-rush/story-e6frf7kx-1225781371065
A FEISTY pensioner who led police on a go-slow pursuit on country roads said she had refused to stop because she feared she would miss a doctor's appointment.

Nadja Savin, 73, of Warrnambool, this week pleaded guilty to failing to stop when directed by police.

The Warrnambool Magistrates' Court heard Ms Savin was driving about 40km/h along the Princes Highway in Dennington, near Warrnambool, on May 22 with her hazard lights on and a stream of angry motorists trailing behind her.

The speed limit in the areais 80km/h.

A police officer tried twice to pull Ms Savin over but she refused to yield, forcing the officer to turn on the emergency lights and give pursuit for several kilometres.

But Ms Savin claims she was simply driving cautiously and using her hazard lights to warn other motorists to keep a safe distance.

"It's the law of the land in Australia to have three car lengths between cars, so when they (other motorists) got close I put the hazard lights on to get them to keep their distance," Ms Savin said.

"They kept beeping me but I wouldn't budge.

"I was going 40km/h because at first it was through a school zone, when it became 70km/h or 80km/h I kept going at 40km/h or below because you never know where children may be."

At one stage during the pursuit an officer persuaded Ms Savin to pull over to the side of the road, but the frail pensioner refused to wind down the window. Instead, she pointed to Port Fairy, her intended destination, and kept driving.

Ms Savin said she couldn't afford to stay and chat with the officer, as she was running late for a podiatry appointment.

"I was heading for an appointment with my podiatrist and I intended to keep it, my toe was very, very sore," she said.

"I knew if I was late I would miss it . . . I wasn't being difficult. I pointed to Port Fairy and told them I'd speak to them when I arrived."

Ms Savin then reversed her car past the police vehicle and continued on her way to her appointment.

"I made my appointment in the end, but when I came out they had put a clamp on my wheel and they were not very happy," she said.

A charge of failing to stop when directed by police was proved in Warrnambool Magistrates' court and dismissed, but her licence was suspended until she passes a VicRoads exam.

no idea why they'd dismiss a charge of failing to stop, since she clearly ignored police instructions to do so.
also i'm sure i remember reading about driving +20kmh under the limit counted as an offence.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
hmm, do you reckon there would be the same outcome if a p plater did the exact same thing? its all interesting though.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Lol, so she was doing half the speed limit, yet she was worried about missing her appt? Surely the solution to both making it to her appointment and not getting the attention of the cops (and other road users) would be to speed up? Some people....

BONSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina S2
This woman sounds like an idiot.

You don't want to be late but your happy to travel 40kph

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
She was protesting something, probably her perceived hypocrisy of speed management.

The hazards thing is legal under ARR 221(b) - the vehicle is a slow-moving vehicle and is obstructing, or is likely to obstruct, the path of other vehicles or pedestrians. Failing to stop on lawful instruction however, is not.

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Wow thats funny. Another case of stubborn old people. How nice of her to inform the police officer the law of car lengths lol. Also, think its a 3 sec gap.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Dam i just watched most shocking videos on cable the seniors ep!! and this just news story just brought me back to that show... it has some really bad senior drivers!!

I wonder how many go's it'll take her to pass the exam....