Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Scraping sound from handbrake

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
Hello all.

I've had this problem with my handbrake for a while. Pretty much when I'm driving along I hear this scraping sound, it sounds like there's a bump in the inner drum of the rotor and the boot is scraping it (It's not one constant scrape).

But interestingly enough when I pull the lever up a notch or two, the scraping goes away and it's quiet.

I figure something is loose? The hand brake is currently a bit loose, takes about 8 clicks to work. But the problem was still happening when it was nice and tight. Actually thought I over tightened it so I loosened it a bit.

And thoughts on what I should inspect?

Last edited:

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Known Fault -
Hand Brake Scrape - Intermittent scraping noises may be heard from the rear of the car while driving. The noise may appear to go away after re-applying hand brake lever. The front lining of the hand brake shoe may contact the inner drum of the rear disc without the hand brake being applied. In mid 2004, a spring was added into production to centralise the park brake shoe in the drum, and reduce the chance of contact when the hand brake is not applied.

Park brake shoe scrape kit (includes 2 brackets and 2 springs) - Part number 92147813

Info Found here - Faults - VY Brakes

Mine does the same thing when going slow but i don't care.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that mate.

I generally wouldn't care, but I can't drive with the window down next to barriers (which I do a lot). Becomes too annoying after a few minutes.

Any idea where I can get this kit in Aus? Seem to only find sites in the states that have them. I'm assuming Holden will have them?

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
i reckon that would be a holden only part mate.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
No worries. I'll have to wait till Saturday to drop in a get it. But I'll ring around tomorrow and see if I can track it down.

Thanks greenacc.

vy2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
hey guys, does this part replace an existing spring? or is it an additional part?

Does anyone have any photos or instructions for installation?

Im picking up this part number on saturday, as I have the exact symptoms mentioned (when hand brake is applied lightly at about 10km/h, the issue goes away for a couple of weeks)

I've done brake pads, oil changes etc. but just need some guidance from someone that has fitted this kit

Nikko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 Lumina
Hi, i recently overhauled my rear park brake as it was not working at all. In the kit i bought was the spring and bracket needed to do the upgrade. Park brake is now fine and does not make a swoooshing sound as is common on early VY's. I did need to buy a large torx socket to undo the bolt which the bracket fitted under but it only cost me $4.99 from Repco (think it was a T50 but don't quote me on that).

The kit i used was the one in the link below but i got it for $99 plus delivery from a different seller.

Good luck.

Nick.

Banksia Park Brake Band Holden Commodore VT VU VX VY VZ | eBay

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Yep I got similar prob too. 3/04 clubby. When applied park brake on incline with car facing up.... and then release brake to drive off..... it still holds. So I have to hit reverse just a tad, then its released and fine. It won't do it facing forward down hill, but will do it facing up. flat surface 5 clicks. incline 6-7 clicks. I thought it had something to do with a spring or something. Quite embarrassing in drive thru's.

vy2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
yeah, the kit i bought from holden is like this

20131005_111531_zpsba169f17.jpg

does anyone have a photo or tips of where it goes?

vy2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i found a pic from a service manual of the commodore rear hub with the rotor removed.
I just dont know where the above 'scrape kit' would fit - any ideas?
rearhub_zpsdb010158.jpg