Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SD Cards

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
I've got an 8Gb Adata SD card for the 500D (free with the camera) but it's ****ing slow. Anyone know how fast you can get SD cards? I've seen 30mb/s Sandisks, is that as fast as they go?

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
interesting, the one that came with my 500D is a 4gb @ 15mb/s and i find it quick. see if you can borrow someones card and test it.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
interesting, the one that came with my 500D is a 4gb @ 15mb/s and i find it quick. see if you can borrow someones card and test it.

If you shoot raw, you're trying to write a 15-20mb file, so if you shoot 3 or 4 in quick succession, you end up waiting for the camera to write the data.

Yeah I found a place to get the extreme cards from, will probably get 2 8gb cards, rather than risk it all on a 16 or 32gb card.

Cheers

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I've got an 8Gb Adata SD card for the 500D (free with the camera) but it's ****ing slow. Anyone know how fast you can get SD cards? I've seen 30mb/s Sandisks, is that as fast as they go?

Im using Sandisk 16 gig Extreme's have a 90mb/s speed. I think they retail for around $400 odd? Can pick them up much cheaper if you haggle a bit.

If you shoot raw, you're trying to write a 15-20mb file, so if you shoot 3 or 4 in quick succession, you end up waiting for the camera to write the data.

Why are you shooting full sized raws? Shoot smaller raw files thus no need to change cards.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
Im using Sandisk 16 gig Extreme's have a 90mb/s speed. I think they retail for around $400 odd? Can pick them up much cheaper if you haggle a bit.

Are they SD or CF cards? Haven't seen SD cards at that speed before.

Why are you shooting full sized raws? Shoot smaller raw files thus no need to change cards.

Just playing at the moment, and would be happier with the knowledge that the card can keep up with the camera.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
ooops, yeh sorry im using CF cards...that'll learn me for posting with a sore head lol.

My bad.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
SD Speed Class Ratings

SD Cards and SDHC Cards have Speed Class Ratings defined by the SD Association. The SD Speed Class Ratings specify the following minimum write speeds based on "the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied":[8]

* Class 2: 2 MByte/s - 13x
* Class 4: 4 MByte/s - 26x
* Class 6: 6 MByte/s - 40x

SD and SDHC cards will often also advertise a maximum speed (such as 133x or 150x) in addition to this minimum Speed Class Rating. Important differences between the Speed Class and the traditional "X" speed ratings are; 1) the ability of the host device to query the SD card for the speed class and determine the best location to store data that meets the performance required, 2) class speed defines the minimum transfer speed. Even though the class ratings are defined by a governing body, like "X" speed ratings, class speed ratings are quoted by the manufacturers but unverified by any independent evaluation process.

On 21 May 2009, Panasonic announced new "class 10" SDHC cards, claiming that this new class is "part of SD Card Specification Ver.3.0".[9] Toshiba also announced cards based on the new 3.0 spec[10] As of December 2009[update], the SD Association's Web site does not include information on this new class or new specification.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
ooops, yeh sorry im using CF cards...that'll learn me for posting with a sore head lol.

My bad.

LOL, no probs. A couple of 30mb/s will do nicely i think.