Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seat Belts??

sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT EXEC
Hi, i have had an accident in my 98 VT Wagon (not my fault). Causing damage to my front end. It must have had an accident prior to me as the air bag did not deploy but the seatbelts released tension. I've had a quote, he said the front end will be around $3700 and if we include the seatbelts it is a "total loss" what does this mean? as i am awaiting her insurance companies assessor to come around and write off my car. My friends tell me its just economical write off and i can fix myself but does the seatbelt factor mean i will be issued with an unroadworthy sticker? Thankyou for your help

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
That means that the front end repair comes under the threshold for the maximum repair cost and the insurance company will fix your car. However adding the additional cost of the seatbelt pretensions and srs components brings the repair bill up too high for the value of the vehicle.
Economic write off means that the damage to the vehicle isn't enough for the car to be irreparable, however the value of the vehicle does not make it viable.
Example. If you had to replace front bumper, headlights and guards (include labour and paint) on a 1985 ford laser. Not worth it.
Same repairs on a 2012 Mercedes's is still cheaper than paying out the customer.

sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT EXEC
excellent, thankyou heaps. So, i'll still have my car. I can fix myself for under $1000 just didnt want the unroadworthy sticker! Phew

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I'd be asking more questions, if it's through insurance it'll be registered as written off... (regardless of classification)

Obviously there is a fault with the SRS and even if you patch up the cosmetic damage do you really want to be caught out next time without air bags or seat belt restraint?
Might have a nice holden emblem in your chest or end up through the windscreen (from experience i can say not knowing what happened after trying to exit via the windscreen with my head when a seat belt failed is not a pleasant feeling... even many years later)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
seat belts are a dual stage latching system, the pre-tensioner is used to lock the belt in faster than the ratchet lock is able to. they do this so when you take an airbag to the face you take it almost fully deployed, rather than taking the plastic of the steering wheel to the nose while it splits open.

once the pre-tensioner has deployed it needs to be replaced
once the airbag has been deployed it needs to be replaced.
impact sensors often need to be replaced after prangs, but a SRS test will confirm if its still function (if damaged in ANY way though it should be replaced)

to replace those 3 items (im not sure about your make/model) can run into the $6-7K if a dual airbag system and both have deployed. and thats not even including any repairs to the car. im sure a VT would be cheaper. probably get second hand airbag steering wheel for ... 500? seat belts for a few hundred, pass airbag for couple hundred. so lets be generous and say 2k for used parts.

so a VT is worth what? 3 grand if in good condition?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
It's a write off sorry to say. Strip it and advertise the good bits. You may well be surprised what you get. Will be well worth the effort with a bit of hard yakka.