Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Second battery

SexGod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 1992
HI everyone just need some info if anyone has any on how to install a second battery in my VP for my neons and other accesories seem ive ran my battery flat twice now cause i left something on. so any help on how to do it and what i need would be could.

cheers ryan.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Work out if you wish to jump start the primary battery with the secondary.
What power requirments the lights etc need.
If you want to forget about it when finnished.

Locate a spot for the second battery in the boot. Buy the following parts:

1x battery box
1x battery
2x battery terminals
6mts x battery cable red
2mts x battery cable black
6mts x 3mm cable
6x terminals for battery cable
1x solinoid (standard or smart)
1x fuse holder and fuse
1x switch (smart solinoid)

Best to buy a smart solinoid as they are connect and forget, if the primary battery voltage drops below a certain voltage it disconnects the two batteries from each other and has nothing to do with you.

A standard soliniod will allow the two batteries to stay on as long as the key/switch is in the Accessory position. If it is connected via the Accessory wiring they will both be connected when ever the Accessories are on, thus you can still flaten the two batteries if you forget it on.

The general idea is to connect the two batteries together so as to allow both batteries to recharge but to be able to work independantly.

Mount the battery box and battery in the boot.

Mount the solinoid.

If using the SMART SOLINOID run a battery cable (do not connect on either end to either battery yet) from either the main battery or the main positive terminal on the alternator to the solinoid then run another battery cable from the other terminal on the solinoid to the positive terminal on the secondary battery inside the battery box in the boot. Make sure the cable is run in a safe way away from sharp edges and hot pipes or fuel lines etc.

Run a battery cable from the secondary battery to a VERY GOOD earth.

Run your wires to the required lights etc via fuses as required (us a fuse or burn the car down when something goes wrong)

If using a standard solinoid run a FUSED wire from an Accessory feed to the small lug on the solinoid then run another wire from the other lug to an earth.

Make sure everything is ok and that all positive wires are connected to positive terminals (+ on main battery should go to + on secondary battery etc) then connect the battery + cables to both batteries (don't touch anything with the opposite end whilst connecting the other. TAPE IT UP)

As the Smart solinoid is the BEST way to seperate the two batteries and requires less work I do HIGHLY recommend them.

Kind Regards Guy

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Will this setup prevent the second battery charging the first and vica versa when the car is off etc.?

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
This kit can be yours for 3 easy payments of $39.99, All majour credit cards accepted Call 1800 CHSL OUT

pmsl love it adox...

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
also a vent hose for the battery is a good idea if the battery isnt a true sealed battery. hydrogen and oxygen aint a good combo in your boot!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
pmsl = pissing my self laughing

Or you could simply wire everything to accessories. So when you switch the car off everything else shuts off.

better yet....remember to switch it all off.

Running a second battery will cost you close on $200 at a minimum

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Please note if you do have two batteries:

If you drain both batteries, not totally dead but just a little bit, you will put alot of strain on your alternator as it tries to charge the dimished capacity.

Batteries work better and last longer, as most things do, when they are kept cool.

Look on the market at the different types of batteries. I wouldnt bother adding a second battery but would invest in a battery that is designed to be drained and happily recharged. Most people running a professional sound system use this type of battery and can run their system for quite a while with the car off, jump in the car and start her quite easily.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
You can wire an extra switch on either setup to boost the main battery if it becomes flat if you wish - you can start off of the second battery.

With the smart soliniod once the main battery power gets low (still able to start the car easy) it disconnects the two batteries. EASY DONE.

Does that help?

Guy