Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Selecting Reverse + Rough Idle

C

cosmo69

Hi, :wave:

(1) My wife purchased a VYII Acclaim a few weeks back.
Its a Dec 2003, auto, with about 40,000km.

(2) Selecting DRIVE (from NEUTRAL) seems relatively smooth.
However, when selecting REVERSE (from PARK or NEUTRAL) the car "rocks" once from one side to the other. No loud clunks.
Is this normal?

(3) In PARK, the cold idle seemed fine, but the warm idle seemed a bit rough.
Had it back to Holden Dealer, but no noticeable difference. Dealer indicated that they "adjusted the computer". If anything the cold idle now seems worse.
Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

vy_acclaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VYII Acclaim
cosmo69 said:
...My wife purchased a VYII Acclaim a few weeks back...
Good car - lol.

cosmo69 said:
...Selecting DRIVE (from NEUTRAL) seems relatively smooth. However, when selecting REVERSE (from PARK or NEUTRAL) the car "rocks" once from one side to the other. No loud clunks. Is this normal?
Apparently, yes. Mine does it aswell. I was told that it is simply the transmission engaging the gears - rolls because the car sometimes moves when in park... That's what I was told.

cosmo69 said:
...In PARK, the cold idle seemed fine, but the warm idle seemed a bit rough. Is this normal?
lol - once again, apparently. That's the major downside to the Buick engine - alot of vibration. Holden supposedly fixed this with the new alloytech engine...

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
reverse is normal, it just sorta squats a bit when engaging, it's weird but not a problem to be worried about.

The idle i never notice, my warm idle seems fine, maybe i was just lucky

hansey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac series II
Yeh don't worry mate apparently all VYs do that when changing gears in an automatic. My car shutters when selecting reverse from park and drive from reverse.

CNULTR

SLEEP3r
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary II
hansey said:
Yeh don't worry mate apparently all VYs do that when changing gears in an automatic. My car shutters when selecting reverse from park and drive from reverse.
Ill have to agree to that does the same my dealer said "pop it in when the service is due and well have a look at it,wierd" so i assum his got no idea

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
he has every idea, he can charge you to look at it ;)

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
hansey said:

They only do it when the tranny is cold I found out and is normal on all auto vy's but when warm-hot it goes away

CNULTR

SLEEP3r
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary II
maxy0987 said:
he has every idea, he can charge you to look at it ;)
Under warranty :)

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
well thats ok then :p

Woogler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Lumina HBD
My VY has a rougher than normal idle. My service dept has acknowledged it but have no fix! The tacho needle visibly bounces around as well! I paid $90 for an injector flush yesterday which made a small difference, but it is still bad. They tried changing the coil and a few other things, but they have no idea.

They said to drive it until it gets worse, then it may identify a problem to them.