Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Self Made Manifold Insulators

Ryan Boyce

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
I was just about to buy Maces Plenum Spacer and Manifold Insulator. I've got a few other basic mods and upgrades for the near future so I got back in contact with some old friends in the race engine industry. One of his customers brought in an ecotec with a 12mm Plywood self made plenum spacer, straight away I thought oi.... that's a bit how ya going.... But he claimed to have put 70k kms on it since he made it and he had no problems. Now this starts sounding pretty dodgy at first but hear me out, apparently the ply works fine for a spacer but obviously ply isn't a good option for a Manifold Insulator, so what about layering some 6mm Fibre Cement then sealing the whole thing in hi-temp paint so it can't break down over time. I'm a carpenter, we drop fibro down on timber floors when we install fire places and with a fire cranking you can't feel heat in the timber under it after 3x layers (18mm) are down. There isn't a lot of detailed info about making your own spacers and insulators, I was hoping for a bit more than what I found.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The spacers work by increasing intake runner length, not really by "insulating". That's where you get your performance increase from, not by keeping components cool.

munter000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon
I would have thought a cooler charge of air/petrol mix would help performance.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I would have thought a cooler charge of air/petrol mix would help performance.

It does, but whether or not the spacers can overcome heat soak is kind of debatable.

Ryan Boyce

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Thanks anyway guys. I'll save the trouble and buy them. I've got full trust in Maces ones.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Thanks anyway guys. I'll save the trouble and buy them. I've got full trust in Maces ones.

I've had 25mm ones on my VZ for a few years , as mentioned by , lengthening the runners you get more of an intake charge, the intake temperatures drop as well , you probably will not feel any difference in performance though .

munter000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon
so is it a worthwhile mod? It seems a relatively easy thing to do.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's worthwhile as it lengthens the runners, this shifts the torque a bit lower in the revs giving you better acceleration.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
You could also get a CAI as well to help the car breath easier