Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Self Made Manifold Insulators

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
High ratio rockers are the only mod I'd bother with on a v6 apart from diff gears. If you really want a faster car and if you're likely to want to continue modding, buy a v8 - it'll end up being the more economically viable option in the long run.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
High ratio rockers are the only mod I'd bother with on a v6 apart from diff gears. If you really want a faster car and if you're likely to want to continue modding, buy a v8 - it'll end up being the more economically viable option in the long run.

as the OP has a VZ , high ratio rockers are not available for those , and in any case high ratio rockers don't do a lot anyway, I had them on my VX , and there was not a lot of difference to be honest .

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
The spacers work by increasing intake runner length, not really by "insulating". That's where you get your performance increase from, not by keeping components cool.

performance increase? how many extra HP for the old V6.

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
The spacers work by increasing intake runner length, not really by "insulating". That's where you get your performance increase from, not by keeping components cool.

performance increase? how many extra HP for the old V6.

In my case (VZ v6) the torque curve came in at lower revs, but not sure if there was any power increase.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Ah, didn't realise it was for a vz, OP didn't mention which engine.

Don't underestimate the difference lower IAT's can make! But generally a longer runner is better for airspeed and helps throttle response, but at the expense of upper rpm torque.

Ryan Boyce

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Sorry I never mentioned mines a VX. I was under the impression that all the ecotec engines were the same.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
In the L36, there is no oil splash plate under the LIM, so the LIM runs hotter than in alot of other cars. So the insulating properties of the SPacer can and do help - for a bit. No matter what you do, the UIM will absorb heat from the hot air at the engine top, and will probably run at temps close to the LIM anyway.

Run more air through this space, using NACA ducts or something and you would see more benefit.

I've made my own spacers, including PCV delete, hogged them out to match oversize inlet runners. Works well - if theres plenty of top end cooling - which is one reason I use water meth injection - keeps the UIM about 30 degrees under LIM during WOT