Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Series 2 headunit into series 1 any one had one work yet?

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Hello guys! I'm really needing your help about this project.
I live in Brazil and some VE1 and 2 were imported here in a small number.
Reading some posts around the Internet I could realize that is possible install the iQ in my VE1.#
The radio is installed at the dash and obviously enabled the security lockout.
Can you help me with the wiring schematics (+,- and Gmlan was easy...) and with the unlock/VIM please?
I can get a e2prom reader, but I need advise from the experts.
Thank you!

Definitely Possible.
Have a read of the following
www.carmodder.com • Fitting a Series II IQ Unit for the Holden VE Commodore

This covers trim bits needed, removing S1 parts, and fitting S2 parts, as well as what is required for modifying the wiring to get it to work.

You can program the VIN number with an EEPROM programmer, which will remove the Security Lockout, however you will need to desolder the EEPROM, as you will not be able to read / write to it whilst it is still on the board.

Once you dump the EEPROM, the VIN number will stick out like the proverbial dogs balls.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Cool story bro. So how do we change the startup logos and background colours in the S2 IQ system?

The IQ startup logos, reverse camera, VIM, and other lockouts (Phone, Sat Nav) need to be programmed via the single wire 11Bit Can.
(If anyone is interested in playing, search for GMW3110.pdf using google).

If that does not put you off, then you will need an OBD dongle capable of 11Bit SW GM Lan comms. (Such as the OBDLink MX)
Then you will need to work out the ARB IDs for the device (IQ Unit) what you want to read / write to (Search for GMLan Bible for this).

Once you have this, then you will be able to read programming from different modules in the car.

To Write to a module, you will need to calculate the Key for the devices Seed value (A security measure by GM to prevent unauthorised access to modules).
Request the seed from the device, send the key which will unlock the device for programming.
Then write the data to the memory address for the desired setting, and reboot the device.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
The IQ startup logos, reverse camera, VIM, and other lockouts (Phone, Sat Nav) need to be programmed via the single wire 11Bit Can.
(If anyone is interested in playing, search for GMW3110.pdf using google).

If that does not put you off, then you will need an OBD dongle capable of 11Bit SW GM Lan comms. (Such as the OBDLink MX)
Then you will need to work out the ARB IDs for the device (IQ Unit) what you want to read / write to (Search for GMLan Bible for this).

Once you have this, then you will be able to read programming from different modules in the car.

To Write to a module, you will need to calculate the Key for the devices Seed value (A security measure by GM to prevent unauthorised access to modules).
Request the seed from the device, send the key which will unlock the device for programming.
Then write the data to the memory address for the desired setting, and reboot the device.

So, simple then!

tumblr_mqjqmnixk21sppmago1_400.gif

And you have a go when people want to pay money to have someone else do it? LOL

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
So, simple then!

And you have a go when people want to pay money to have someone else do it? LOL

Actually I have no problems with people charging money to do it for someone else, nor do I have problems with people paying money to have someone do this for them.

I actually have problems when people rip off your hard work when you work this stuff out, and do not contribute anything back, and then fob their customers off to myself or others that have worked this stuff out to fix up the mess that they have created.
(If I had a $1 for every time someone has PMed me wanting me to fix up some bricked headunit / cluster, I would be a wealthy person).

I could actually post up around 10 Lines of ODB commands that would change the Startup screen, remove all lockouts, and enable the reverse camera, but I have learnt my lesson with publishing the Series I headunit EEPROM programming stuff.

(Its also the reason why I havent updated any of the Cluster EEPROM locations on the website).

Its also the reason why in these guides that I publish recommended suppliers of these services, as these guys don't screw their customers around and know 100% what they are doing
(unlike most of the fleabay fly by nighters guys out there).

VE_SS_V8

Lunatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sedan, 57 Chev Belair, Harley Davidson
Zerone_V

Have installed a series 2 IQ into my series 1 and all working great but having trouble with getting the bluetooth microphone to work .. Have looked on your site (carmodder.com) and got some great info on how to do this ( microphone connects to pins 1 & 2 on X4 ) but a bit confused as to which connector is X4 ? .. yeah i know prob a question thats been asked a million times and yeah ive googled.. but cant find any info , would you have a pic by any chance ?

Cheers

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
image.php

In this picture,
The white plug is X3 (Lower Right Plug)
The Black Plug is X4 (Lower Left Plug)

Hope this helps

VE_SS_V8

Lunatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sedan, 57 Chev Belair, Harley Davidson
Thank you mate, you are a dead set legend

Craig93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SEDAN
what are people paying for these systems lately?
Been offered a SS one for $300. but only has screen and white box at back and top round vent plastics.
Also been offered a SV6 one for $550 with everything to fit into my series 1 apparently.
not sure if its good or what not?

jleiner

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV ute
Lookup on facebook " Automotive lighting customs" they install them all as a kit and the prices are pretty affordable. IQ in your series 1

Veberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve berlina
I have a series 1 WM caprice DVD player in my car and its run off the series 1 WM caprice headunit. Anyone know if I install a series 2 WM headunit will it still run the series 1 DVD player? I ain't gonna upgrade if i lose the DVD...