Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service Advice

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Hi Y'all.

Lately I've quite (badly) neglected service intervals on the vt - adopting more of a 'she'll be right' attitude.

So, the last motor service (oil/oil filter/air filter) was conducted approx 20,000 k's ago

The last auto service.. can't actually remember, and I've never replaced/serviced my diff.

Plugs/leads/coil are all good.

The last oil I put in was Valvoline Maxlife 20W-50 - however I've topped up with another brand/weight oil.

Suggestions on oil to use? Motor done around the 200K mark, maybe 220ish. Daily duties, unmodified v6.

Any other recommendations apart from simply draining trans and replacing trans filter/fluid?

Fanks in advance.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I like Nulon motor oil. You could probably use their high mileage or their everyday driving oil... I'd use their auto fluid :D

You've pretty much nailed it with the trans but try to flush out the cooler also... it can hold a bit of fluid.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Who cares what oil, get some fresh stuff in there now!! Anything!!

I use penrite fully synthetic, but honestly any oil will work for you.

Diff, old fluid out, new in, just check whether LSD or not and get right fluid. Trans, yes good.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Tasmaniak: with no offence intended, I would prefer to stay away from Nulon/Penrite for a motor oil. Never had good experiences with it, and those I know who have used Nulon have had bad experiences also. I may spend the little extra and get the Valv Maxlife again, seemed to do well.

Truly cant be bothered with servicing the diff, probably just take that to the mechanic, I dont have a fluid syringe anymore, so yeah.. leave that up to those who can do it better than me haha.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
What bad experience have you had? I'd be keen to hear because I recommend it to everyone and so do a lot of other people. It's been flawless in all our cars! No offense taken.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Check your pm pal.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
For the trans changing only fluid in the pan is next to useless, you need to have it flushed, otherwise you just mix old contaminated fluid with new fluid.

Diff oil change is one of the easiest things you can do, some bottles ever have a straw to help with it!

For the future remember that servicing you car can make it run better and be cheaper in the long run, as it will use less gas when better lubricated!

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Towcar: Yeah will be giving it a good flush mate, thanks :)

With all due respect - not intending to be a smartass, fully aware of the benefits of regular servicing, but had a fair while of 'cbf' with the car itself. I think over the next month or so, I'll invest some time and cash into it, give it a little TLC.

Degreased the engine bay the other day, happy with the result for a v6 nugget haha.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
I'll give it one thing - with the neglect it's suffered (non servicing).. She's done a great job so far.. Touch wood!