Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service and oil life?

vr355stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 clubby w/Ls3, 05 VZ Lumina
Personally i wouldnt be using the oil supplied by the dealer. I change my oil every 5k and run Royal Purple. Why squabble over a few dollars if spending a little more helps your engine. Ill do whatever it takes to give my car it's maximum protection in every aspect.

Jez:eek:...you must have a lot of money cause it ain't afew $$$ more,it's lots!! (95$/5lt)..... you must be driving your E3 hard :driving:to warrant changing every 5K with Royal Purple, cause it's real good stuff and to change it at 5k is a waste of good oil it can withstand the distance (^10k~).
I've just changed mine and I'm using Castrol Titanium 5w40 and it lasted 10k and in that I changed the filter at 5k and dumped and topped with a litre,pressure came up alittle aswell. I drive very spirited :driving::yeah:every day but after this change I'm going to just change at 8.5k from now on!Also have ta get a new set of rears :) missus is not happy but :banstick: I had fun!!

Last edited:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yeah distance-based intervals is a loose way of determining oil life, about as accurate as how kms travelled approximates tyre wear.
Use the Oil Life monitor next oil change, it's the safest and most economical way to determine the dump interval.
I used to swear by Royal Purple Racing Oil which is all detergent, switched to 2200ppm Zinc Racing Oil by Penrite now and runs much cooler, quieter.

vr355stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 clubby w/Ls3, 05 VZ Lumina
Yeah distance-based intervals is a loose way of determining oil life, about as accurate as how kms travelled approximates tyre wear.
Use the Oil Life monitor next oil change, it's the safest and most economical way to determine the dump interval.
I used to swear by Royal Purple Racing Oil which is all detergent, switched to 2200ppm Zinc Racing Oil by Penrite now and runs much cooler, quieter.

I looked at the Penrite 2200ppm zinc and have read some good things about it's properties,but I got the Castrol Titanium at a good price but will give the Penrite a go next time,hey what's cooler? the oil temp or just engine temp overall as the clubby has oil temp and I know it's average to good on accuacy

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yeah it's another ECU calculated PID for the oil temp but both are noticeably cooler. Startup is definitely quieter which I rate highly.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I'm so confused as to which oil is the best! Everyone swears by a different brand. Ima get 5 litres of penrite, castrol edge and royal purple put them all into a 20 litre drum and make the best oil ever! Lol

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I've fiddled and farted around with different oils and have always come back to Penrite.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Hope you mean full syn by all detergent. Used to use free high detergent oil to flush our old 308 motors, came out black in a few days. Prob lucky we never spun a bearing. I like the top end Penrite for quality plus value.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
I'm so confused as to which oil is the best! Everyone swears by a different brand. Ima get 5 litres of penrite, castrol edge and royal purple put them all into a 20 litre drum and make the best oil ever! Lol

Don't forget to use your dick to stir it too. :D