Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service and Tune

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
Yeah, I was looking at the VCM deal on ebay, self install (youtube makes it look easy!) then go for a tune.
Might need to buy a house soon though, so might take a back seat for now..

I'm not tempted by an exhaust (yet at least). I'm happy with the exhaust sound/loudness, bi modal is very useful and it gets expensive quickly.
I stayed away from the LSA as I don't like the supercharger whine, so its definitely staying NA :D

I am with you on the factory bi-modal exhaust on HSVs, they already have a nice sound especially with the fuse pulled out where you can have it 'loud' all the time. Same as you didn't like the S/C whine so compromised getting an auto instead and went LS3 as I could not find a new manual HSV at the time and bought last of the LS3s before they went S/C route on all HSVs. I did have an opportunity to buy the special editions in manual, but wanted the HSV interiors so settled on my current car and tbh quite happy with it.

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
GM all the way.
Reserve Rd Melton.
Servicing and mods all reasonably priced and been in the business for over 10 years.
Speak to Danny there.
Thanks Mate, I already got it done last week at DPM.

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
I had the mistress tuned on Saturday (wasn’t going to but when you know a guy and you can get one done for half price why the hell not).

Car has HSV tri Y’s, HSV 2.5” mid section, Holden bimodal’s and a VCM OTR and she when from 260.4rwkw and 588.7NM

To 282.5RWKW and 637.8NM
That’s a gain of 22.1 kw and 50.1 NM
From basically a OTR.

The car is about the same to drive around town But put the old boot into it and it’s completely different 1st is pretty much useless now for wheel spin but after that it’s HAULING ARSE. View attachment 211716
Nice gains there, and I guess all tunes are different, with mine I can now feel the car is more lively across the range, which is what I asked them for.

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
Hi All
During the recent service I was told that both brake pads and discs would need replacement shortly (another 5000kms). I took the attached photo of the front brakes, would it be possible for someone to tell seeing the photo that they do require replacing?
The car has only 39k on the clock and I am very gentle with the brakes and a lot of the Kms have been clocked on the highway so I was very surprised that they need replacement so soon.
Also any recommendation on the replacement? I have been quoted approx. $3k for genuine brake pads and discs.

Attachments

• Brakes.pdf
    277.6 KB · Views: 259

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Hi All
During the recent service I was told that both brake pads and discs would need replacement shortly (another 5000kms). I took the attached photo of the front brakes, would it be possible for someone to tell seeing the photo that they do require replacing?
The car has only 39k on the clock and I am very gentle with the brakes and a lot of the Kms have been clocked on the highway so I was very surprised that they need replacement so soon.
Also any recommendation on the replacement? I have been quoted approx. $3k for genuine brake pads and discs.

Your brake pads are very close to end of life. The discs would probably need replacing if you have gone through a set of pads. My car has done nearly 52k and I was told the disc were undersize.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@TSMAX, there is still brake pad material between the screamer and the rotor. The screamer is that silver metal piece mounted on the pad itself and towards the bottom of your photo. The screamers purpose is to make a really annoying metal on metal sound when the pad wears down so that the screamer touches the disk. When the screamer hits the disk, the pads must be replaced urgently... Did I say it makes an really annoying sound...

But it’s not just pads that are an issue, if rotors are undersized (below the minimum thickness stamped on the rotor itself) then the rotor must also be replaced.

Usually, a dealer will make an estimation of whether the pads & rotors will fall outside minimum specs before the car has reached its next service interval. Most of the time they are rather over eager for you to change your pads and rotors.

Someone posted on another thread that the pads are 10mm when new (but I’m not sure if this is true). Assuming this is true, I’d measure the thickness of the pad material from the screamer tip towards the backing plate, the stuff that’s left once the screamer starts to annoy you with that noise, so let’s assume it’s 2mm. Then measure the distance between the tip of the screamer and the outside edge of the pad in mm, let’s say that is 3mm. The total pad used is 10-(2+3)=5mm. Given that the vehicle has traveled 40,000km (nice round number) and used 5mm of pad material, the distance per mm of pad material left is 40,000/(510-2)=8000kms per my. Since you have 3mm till you hit the screamer, you have 8000*3=24,000kms left before the screamer annoys the heck out of you... BUT be warned, it’s an estimation (based on fictional numbers I’ve pulled out of the air... measure them yourself and do the calculation yourself). ALSO, it’s important to check both sides of the caliper and all corners and take the worst calculation.

Similar can be done with rotors but don’t know how thick they are new and how accurate they can be measured when worn and if grooved. Rotors can be machined but sadly there isn’t much meat on these performance rotors so replacement is usually the chosen option (otherwise you risk machine, measure, scrap...) :eek:

Hopefully you have enough info to work things out yourself.

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
Your brake pads are very close to end of life. The discs would probably need replacing if you have gone through a set of pads. My car has done nearly 52k and I was told the disc were undersize.
Thanks for the feedback, it is the original set of pads being replaced, but looking at your mileage my disc might need replacement as well.

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
@TSMAX, there is still brake pad material between the screamer and the rotor. The screamer is that silver metal piece mounted on the pad itself and towards the bottom of your photo. The screamers purpose is to make a really annoying metal on metal sound when the pad wears down so that the screamer touches the disk. When the screamer hits the disk, the pads must be replaced urgently... Did I say it makes an really annoying sound...

But it’s not just pads that are an issue, if rotors are undersized (below the minimum thickness stamped on the rotor itself) then the rotor must also be replaced.

Usually, a dealer will make an estimation of whether the pads & rotors will fall outside minimum specs before the car has reached its next service interval. Most of the time they are rather over eager for you to change your pads and rotors.

Someone posted on another thread that the pads are 10mm when new (but I’m not sure if this is true). Assuming this is true, I’d measure the thickness of the pad material from the screamer tip towards the backing plate, the stuff that’s left once the screamer starts to annoy you with that noise, so let’s assume it’s 2mm. Then measure the distance between the tip of the screamer and the outside edge of the pad in mm, let’s say that is 3mm. The total pad used is 10-(2+3)=5mm. Given that the vehicle has traveled 40,000km (nice round number) and used 5mm of pad material, the distance per mm of pad material left is 40,000/(510-2)=8000kms per my. Since you have 3mm till you hit the screamer, you have 8000*3=24,000kms left before the screamer annoys the heck out of you... BUT be warned, it’s an estimation (based on fictional numbers I’ve pulled out of the air... measure them yourself and do the calculation yourself). ALSO, it’s important to check both sides of the caliper and all corners and take the worst calculation.

Similar can be done with rotors but don’t know how thick they are new and how accurate they can be measured when worn and if grooved. Rotors can be machined but sadly there isn’t much meat on these performance rotors so replacement is usually the chosen option (otherwise you risk machine, measure, scrap...) :eek:

Hopefully you have enough info to work things out yourself.
Thanks for the detailed feedback Skylarking. This wasn't a holden dealer, it was DPM when I had my service and tune done couple of weeks back. He said that you can still go another 5000Kms but definitely do it next service (I was averaging 10k during the first 3 years but the usage has dropped a lot in the last 18 months so I will probably be only doing another 5k until next service anyways).
I was referred to a guy in Sydney on HSV forums who supplies Brakes and rotors for HSVs, but the forum is not working any more and I lost his details, so just wondering if anyone here has any experience with aftermarket discs and pads for HSVs considering the factory units are almost $3k for replacement?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition