Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service steering column lock nugget

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I have a 2016 ssv redline. Had the same issue about a week ago. Thought it was because I put the steering under load when I got in but today I don’t think I did that and it only appeared when I gunned it on a straight stretch of road. Just wondering if anyone had had any solutions from Holden on this one. I just gave it the 45000km service last week and have been having issues since. Getting a strong smell sitting at the lights of burnt oil coming through the vents into the cabin as well
It will most likely not come back...
Oil smell is unrelated....just dummies at holden spilling oil on the extractors...

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman-Caprice collection
It will most likely not come back...
Oil smell is unrelated....just dummies at holden spilling oil on the extractors...
Ron sorry to drag up your old thread but i too last week received that service steering column lock message...my question is by any chance did you ever notice sometimes the pin lock on yours not engaging after switching your car off?
I noticed on mine sometimes that it wouldn't engage the lock when id open up the drivers door but it was at least 1 month+ until i received the service message in the centre screen.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Ron sorry to drag up your old thread but i too last week received that service steering column lock message...my question is by any chance did you ever notice sometimes the pin lock on yours not engaging after switching your car off?
I noticed on mine sometimes that it wouldn't engage the lock when id open up the drivers door but it was at least 1 month+ until i received the service message in the centre screen.
Never noticed anything unusual and never saw the error again since then...

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Never noticed anything unusual and never saw the error again since then...
Thanks for the reply and happy to hear you never received the msg again!

I haven't gone to start mine up now in over a week so I'm not sure if its going to play up or not??
Im wondering if its worth it maybe installing a new battery in the boot?? Im pretty sure its the original one so going on 6 years about...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Thanks for the reply and happy to hear you never received the msg again!

I haven't gone to start mine up now in over a week so I'm not sure if its going to play up or not??
Im wondering if its worth it maybe installing a new battery in the boot?? Im pretty sure its the original one so going on 6 years about...

I would not worry about the battery. Not likely to do anything with the msg

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would not worry about the battery. Not likely to do anything with the msg
I checked the voltage that i started that car today and it was around 14V and after 10-15 mins it hit 15V so you were right about it not being the battery.

I had some spare time so i started & stopped it a few times and the results were all random :/
Every time i started it the lock pin/nugget successfully retracted but where i noticed the issue again was when switching the car off.

First start then stopped opened the drivers door no noise (didn't activate the lock pin), shut the drivers door and reopened it and the lock pin engaged on its own.

Second start then stop engine, open the drivers door no noise, about 15 seconds later with the door still ajar the lock pin activated on its own.

Third start i made with the drivers door still open this time, switched the engine off with the drivers door still open the lock pin deactivated immediately.

Forth start made with the door closed, switched it off opened the drivers door and the lock pin did not activate again. Had to shut the drivers door and open it again to trigger the lock pic for the steering column.

Is there any chance my issue has something to do with the door opening and there is some kind of communication error to the steering column??

PS. i didnt receive the service steering lock column msg today after testing it a few times. So far I've only seen that msg the one time but something certainly is not working correctly with the column lock system.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I checked the voltage that i started that car today and it was around 14V and after 10-15 mins it hit 15V so you were right about it not being the battery.

I had some spare time so i started & stopped it a few times and the results were all random :/
Every time i started it the lock pin/nugget successfully retracted but where i noticed the issue again was when switching the car off.

First start then stopped opened the drivers door no noise (didn't activate the lock pin), shut the drivers door and reopened it and the lock pin engaged on its own.

Second start then stop engine, open the drivers door no noise, about 15 seconds later with the door still ajar the lock pin activated on its own.

Third start i made with the drivers door still open this time, switched the engine off with the drivers door still open the lock pin deactivated immediately.

Forth start made with the door closed, switched it off opened the drivers door and the lock pin did not activate again. Had to shut the drivers door and open it again to trigger the lock pic for the steering column.

Is there any chance my issue has something to do with the door opening and there is some kind of communication error to the steering column??

PS. i didnt receive the service steering lock column msg today after testing it a few times. So far I've only seen that msg the one time but something certainly is not working correctly with the column lock system.
My car is doing exactly what yours is doing. No error message either. My first VF did not do this at all.

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
My car is doing exactly what yours is doing. No error message either. My first VF did not do this at all.
Thanks for the feedback @Anthony121 and yeah i honestly can not work out what's triggered mine to become like this all of a sudden.
Owned mine for almost 3 years (bought it when it was 3 years old already) and i never noticed it ever playing up the way its right now until about 1.5 months ago.

Im thinking perhaps dis-connecting the negative battery terminal for 10-15 mins??? I have no idea if that will do anything or not?
Just worried incase i do any more harm to the Caprice perhaps? (not sure how a VF's/WN's behave when playing around with the battery?)

Im just being super paranoid now and dont feel comfortable to drive it any more thinking i might go somewhere and switch off the engine with it then refusing to start due to the lock nugget going crazy :/

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Thanks for the feedback @Anthony121 and yeah i honestly can not work out what's triggered mine to become like this all of a sudden.
Owned mine for almost 3 years (bought it when it was 3 years old already) and i never noticed it ever playing up the way its right now until about 1.5 months ago.

Im thinking perhaps dis-connecting the negative battery terminal for 10-15 mins??? I have no idea if that will do anything or not?
Just worried incase i do any more harm to the Caprice perhaps? (not sure how a VF's/WN's behave when playing around with the battery?)

Im just being super paranoid now and dont feel comfortable to drive it any more thinking i might go somewhere and switch off the engine with it then refusing to start due to the lock nugget going crazy :/

I thought the ignition relay under the bonnet might be the cause as if that is removed the steering lock does not activate but you will see the error service steering column. I am not sure if it is the solenoid in the steering lock pin as it doesn't show the error when it doesn't lock. I was told by the dealer to go away as I didn't know anything about cars and let the experts deal with it. They had on the invoice could not fault but he heard it not locking while in the car with me!!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... I was told by the dealer to go away as I didn't know anything about cars and let the experts deal with it
I feel your frustration and hate such attitudes from the dealer. This is especially so when the dealer know nothing about the customers skill set. Considering Holden's workshop manual can in many instances leave a lot to be desired, the workshop staff can't get their heads around all the TSB's, the workshop may choose not to have all the diagnostics tools at their disposal, the dealer may not like warranty work, and more importantly they themselves may have no real detailed idea how the system in question actually works, so for them to make insult the customer and make such self proclaimed statements of their expertice just beggars belief.
They had on the invoice could not fault but he heard it not locking while in the car with me!!
This behaviour really rubs me the wrong way considering they have experianced the fault but could not deterministically reproduce it in the workshop. To say "fault not reproduced" is document lies and only intended to (feebly) protect themselves from ACL.