Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

setting my timing?

squiblex

UNSEEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
i want to kno wat my timing should be set at i have a cam an extractors my cam specs are 218 degree lift 280 degree adv 110 lobe seperation 4 34 44 -6 open close .472 gross lift if that makes sense its a PowerMax H276 hydralic cam i just wanna kno if my timing should be advanced an by how much, its just got a standard carby on it ( rochester )

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
you can throw cam specs at us as much as you want, but without knowing your compression ratio and graph of your dizzy, no one will have a clue.

basically:

set timing to 12 degrees BTDC, drive it to a big hill, hold it in 1st at the base of the hill then launch up it. Go all the way through the rev range then change to 2nd and let it go through its rev range. if it pings in either 1st or 2nd, then stop. retard by 1 degree, then try again and repeat in 1 degree increments. if it doesnt ping then advance it till it does, then back it off till it stops.

the more advance you can get without pinging, the more power you get.

squiblex

UNSEEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
cheers dude ill see wat i can do i live in adelaide so theres not that many hills round here lol just got a redline maxi tork vally cover gonna put that on an see how it goes then lol

kane_coro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX series 2 SS 6 speed,VK Royale 308,VN V6 Ute
If youv got no hills load it up in top gear and see if it pings

squiblex

UNSEEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
wat do you think bout the redline maxi tork valley cover are they any good??