Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Setting up door speakers for my vy

$ikVYbO!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hey everyone, im kinda new to this so please have some sympathy on my post :)

I have an 03 vy commodore with;

dual 12' comp vr Kicker subs----}
1000 wat Mono alpine amp------} Already installed
Pioneer head unit-----------------}

[and im purchasing apline type s splits and rear speakers (for the doors) tomorrow]

I was wondering if anyone could help me on ways to go about installing the door splits and speakers, its easy for me to just get Len day Car audio to do it, however i dont have much money to throw around, only the $350 for the speakers and splits and i know they will charge more than or close to $150 for the install

If anyone has any links, or photos and step by step instructions on how to install the audio systems that would be very much appreciated

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Mate, if you can remove your door trims confidently without damaging any of the mounting clips, tabs ect, electrics ect, then it's pretty straight forward. You will see your speakers, how they are fitted, seated in the pod ect. The pod may have to be cut/modified to accept a slightly larger speaker, you may also have to attach an MDF ring of suitable size to your door trim if mounting diamater, or depth is an issue.

Patience is the key, but even someone with absolutely no experience can get it done. I've never been shown/ taught, nor have i paid anyone for any of my installs since day one.

Unless your a complete dummie, you shouldn't run into any problems.

$ikVYbO!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hey, thanks for your fast response, I have removed the door trim before to replace the speaker grill however I am just unsure here to put the tweeters and how to run the wires/cords if any, into the the head unit, do I just use the old wires from the original speaker or what ??

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
It's fine to use your existing wires, so long as their is no obvious fraying, or damage ect to them.

The factory tweeters are located in the bottom corner of the windscreen. See picture attached. Obviously you want to remove these and replace with your new ones.

You will need to identify the tweeter wires both pos and neg, and trace them back, either that or you can run some new wire from your tweeters. Same goes with the midbass drivers in the door. Once you have them installed and your wires run, they will need to meet up with the crossover. Where you mount the crossover is up to you, depending on it's size.

I'm a big fan of simply using double sided tape to secure the crossovers to enable quick removal,easy accses, and eliminate the need to drill holes in any of your existing trim. I'll usually mount one up the back of the passenger side glove box, and the other in the drivers side fuse panel arrangement.

Attached is another image to show you another option for mounting your crossover. BTW i only stole these pics of the forum anyways.;) One is a VY the other is a VZ i beleive , but yeah much the same from my knowledge.

Attachments

• tweetr.jpg
    tweetr.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,971
  • 23hnguf.jpg
    23hnguf.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 2,745
Last edited:

$ikVYbO!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hey, I have run into some problems, I have setup the tweeters running them off the old wires using crimps and electrical tape, they seem to be running well, my package came with a long capacator maybe ?? It's a 15cm piece with two wires running from it, anyway I installed the tweeter and the speaker and now the tweeter Is running all of the sound, but the split is not running much at all, it's only running softly, and the tweeters are really
loud and out drive the split, I'm not sure where to run the compacator, I my alpine s type package didn't come with a crossover box thingy, please help
me so I can finish off my install

thankyou

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Sounds like you have your tweeters and midwoofers around the wrong way. The capacitor thing you refer to is a crossover. The crossover is what seperates the high and low frequencies, and send them to the appropriate speaker i.e the tweeter or midwoofer.

Your crossover will have -
Input
Mid woofer output
Tweeter output

Your speaker wire, from either your head unit, or amp (if you are using one) goes into the crossover input. This is the sound signal.

You then connect your tweeter and midwoofer to the appropriatley marked outputs on the crossover.

If your still having trouble, take as many pics and you can and get them up. Its hard to diagnose over the net just going on a brief description. Some pictures may help us to identify your problem a bit easier.

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
cheers dude, it helped me out haha, now i understand what a crossover is about heh

$ikVYbO!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
All figured out, the crossover is in, all it needed to have done was the crossover thing, wired up in between the tweeter and the original cords from where the original factory tweeter was, and now it's playing real clean and soooooo much better compared to the factory Holden speakers, cannot wait to setup my rears but if I have any issues I will post again, thanks everyone for all your help :)