Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shaking / vibration in steering wheel with full-lock and driving slow

webbiegareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Hi all,

We all know the drill - pulling into a car park with full lock, almost at a stand still. I get a fair bit of vibration through the steering wheel when I do this.

Is this pretty much typical behaviour or is something wrong with the car? I have a new steering rack (and new oil) thanks to a major leak, but it's been doing it for years and still does it with the new rack.

So I'm curious what the cause is, or even if it's worth worrying about.

webbiegareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Awesome, thank you... I wasn't sure if I needed a new pump or not (or what the symptoms were of a failing pump). My car is at 300,00km's ... steering is still light etc so I'm assuming the pump is still good (with the new rack and fresh oil).

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
If you are at full lock (especially if you keep pressing on the steering wheel) it places a lot of pressure on the steering pump which could cause the symptoms you describe. If you feel that the steering is on full lock, ease back a bit and you will not have the problems you are experiencing. Alternatively, it could be that your steering bump stops are not adjusted correctly and your front tyres may be rubbing on something. Solution is the same, ease off on the steering wheel.