Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shane's VT SS II 5.7ltr

SSGEN-3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II, VT SS II
Thanks for the input guys. I was leaning towards the tune, but tyres was the cheaper option lol. I think I'll go with the tune, now just gotta find somewhere to get it done (hopefully in eastern suburbs, melb) and get my hands on an otr. Anyone got any suggestions? And rough prices would be great as well :thumbsup:
I took my airbox apart today and the top of the box was clean, but the maf was looking a bit black. Could this be from the oil on the air filter (k&n) or is it something else? If I went mafless with a k&n air filter in the otr could it cause any problems?
Also is it worth getting the cats opened up, or putting some hi flow cats on before the tune? I've already got extractors and exhaust but I think the stock cats are still on there.
My mates dad used to own a tyre joint so that came in handy for getting good tyres cheaper, but he sold the place a couple of weeks ago :bang: Also the hoist came in handy a lot :D

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
ive herd nothing but good things about chevs mate but ive had GMM do all my work so i am a bit biased but there awesome. I got my Mafless tune+OTR for about $1500. Ive got a k&n filter in my otr and it seems fine. Getting your cats opened up should make a bit of difference apparently there supposed to be a bit of a restriction but i dont think it should make a difference if its before or after the tune.

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
Yeah, a lot of the LS1 boys use Chevs in Carrum Downs, heard nothing but praise about him.
Talk to Nanos, or Sphinx they go there all the time

SSGEN-3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II, VT SS II
Ok thanks for your help guys. Nanos and Sphinx go to the meets at fountain gate don't they? I might have to have a talk to them when I take my car for a drive over that way for one of the meets.
Also I was curious, is the ss inductions cai fitted to my car (by the previous owner) doing any good for the car or could it be restricting? I've heard mixed responses on this topic, but has it been proven either way? Just wondering if I should keep it on there until I get the otr or if I should return it to stock or put an mcai on for now. I'll look into a few places for the tune, etc, in my time off work so I don't think it'd be getting done until early next year some time.

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
Welcome to the LS1 club. yeah, earlier SS Reductions CAI's sucked ass but the later ones like made this year are meant to be better. Personally I know of a few people that have them and regret it and have gone for the Orssom,CSV or Russo OTR. Those OTR's will set you back somewhere between 500 to 700 bucks. As for tunes etc, definately go see Chev. I run a GTS setup which is a 100mm MAF pipe, no MAF sensor and the monaro mod to the air box and after a tune I net 227rwkw. Nanos has about 225rwkw and he runs an OTR and had Chev tune it. Nothing but good things to say about Chev.

SSGEN-3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II, VT SS II
Sounds like I'll have to look into Chev while I've got some time off work. Also I'll have to try to make it to the meet at fountain gate when you guys are all there so I can check out your cars and get advice, etc. Thanks for your help.
I gave the car a nice clean in and out, and gave the engine a tidy up over the weekend. Will have to get some nice pics somewhere and put some up here. Gotta get a new camera though, the phone just doesn't cut it!

SSGEN-3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II, VT SS II
I was bored so I debadged the back of the car (except the holden badge). The previous owner put vt ss and series II badges on the vx boot garnish, but I'm thinking of putting a vx ss badge on there. What do you guys think?
I'll put a pic up when I can upoad it to the computer.

Last edited:

benjamino

needing some more undies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 6spd + 7psi
I was bored so I debadged the back of the car (except the holden badge). The previous owner put vt ss and series II badges on the vx boot garnish, but I'm thinking of putting a vx ss badge on there. What do people think?
I'll put a pic up when I can upoad it to the computer.

mmmm, i dno man.
personally i think vy ss badges should stay on vy ss's
and vx ss badges should stay on vx ss's
and vt ss badges should stay on vt ss's.
just like me putting vz ss badges on my vx,
it just doesnt look right.
stil with the au' natural.

bu thats just me.

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
mmmm, i dno man.
personally i think vy ss badges should stay on vy ss's
and vx ss badges should stay on vx ss's
and vt ss badges should stay on vt ss's.
just like me putting vz ss badges on my vx,
it just doesnt look right.
stil with the au' natural.

bu thats just me.

the vt and the vx are pretty much the same car anyways lol. i like the vx ones they look pretty good. a lot better then the sticker things you get on the vt.