Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sharing Battery parasitic drain fault- AC clutch relay jammed

tomsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega VE series 2 LPG sedan
Fixed recently parasitic drain fault.

Symptoms - This is hardware fault. It was all ok and nothing to do with computer , ECU etc
battery will go flat with in 15hrs of turn off. Needs a high capacity jumper to start. Jumping from other car may not work.
Alternator was charging OK.

Diagnosis
Disconnect battery +ve in boot.
Connect Jumper battery to Jump post in engine bay with 10amp meter between +ve jumper.
Make sure doors are locked with remote.
Wait for few minutes for system to shut down, meter needs to show <0.1amp

My car showed about 2.5amp. Removed engine bay fuses one by one. Removing AC clutch fuse fixed the reading. Also you can see AC clutch plate retracting with click sound. Put fuse back. Remove AC clutch relay fixed again.

AC clutch relay was jammed. It is 4 pin Denso sq bottom 13502753, GM generic replacement 92199313

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Thanks for sharing your info!

tomsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega VE series 2 LPG sedan
In standard new VE fuse box I am assuming all VE have aircon, this AC clutch relay is missing, so I assuming for some AC don't need clutch?

Anyway it is possible the relay was intermittent stuck for sometime causing compressor to remain engaged longer. It is also possible it was struck for very long but I never left car off long enough to notice battery drain.

Aircon cooling is distinctly poor in my car for few years compared to when I bought the car. Even with recent re gassing.

Can compressor always engaged result in some damage? And that damage doesn't completely kill AC but lowers cooling?

lazyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 M6
Ve have a variable vane type compressor. But some have a clutch as well.

Adairs have a tsb that covers the dates, after August 2010 should have a clutch as well as variable.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Adair’s tech service bulletins are amazing sources of info.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
http://www.adair.net.au/tsb.php for those who can’t be bothered asking google :p

The footnote within the Holden VE/WM New Compressor “Run In” Procedure & Torque Limiter Operation TSB mentions the following:

The Holden series 2 VE introduced August 2010 has reverted back to a “clutched” style compressor using a magnetic field coil to engage. A/C off will result in no compressor engagement and no internal movement. The compressor will still use the electronic control valve (ECVD) operated via the HVAC control module (HCM).

With the non clutch variable compressors, they have a safety device to protect against drive belt breakage called a “torque limiter”. The torque limiter is a sintered metal insert that is connected to the compressor input shaft and the “front plate” to the pulley. If an issue exists where the compressor internals which causes locking up or binding, the sintered metal insert of the limiter will break, disconnecting the compressor input shaft from the plastic pulley. The compressor pulley will still turn but the compressor input shaft will not, so not cold air :oops:

So, interesting to know that a faulty (stuck) aircon clutch relay can cause a flat battery and that any binding within the compressor can cause the sintered pin to break and aircon to not work.

just have to remember all this stuff in say 10 years :eek:

Last edited: