Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shed security - alarms, cameras, roller door locks? Best way to protect your investments?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by EYY, Jul 18, 2017.

1. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    With theft becoming more common by the day around here, security has been something that has been in the forefront of my mind.

After wading through the cheaper CCTV systems online, I've found that there are thousands upon thousands of options available, which has left me wondering how to decide on the most suitable system. How many cameras should I have, where should I place them, are the WIFI systems better or worse?

What about physical barriers - additional roller door locks etc?

Alarms, trackers?

I know there's no substitute for adequate insurance - but at the end of the day, insurance only protects your financial interest. Nobody wants to find an empty spot where their pride and joy was sitting the previous night.

All input welcomed, I'm sure many members have similar questions!

2. dgp

dgp Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Redline
    The problem with most sheds is, all you need is a battery drill and you start undoing sheets from the outside. It's a good idea to line the shed so if the sheets are removed, there is an additional barrier.
    I like sensor lights that face toward the house too, alerting you to their state.
    Sorry, don't know anything about the security cameras but would also be interested in others input.

3. Bigfella237

Bigfella237 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    More cars than I've got space to park!
    Having insurance isn't really the point, if I wanted someone to pay me for my car then I'd sell it, but I don't want to sell it, I want to drive it.

CCTV cameras, much like insurance, do absolutely nothing to stop your car being stolen, you're basically spending your money to help the cops do their job, and even then, the most they will probably see is some oxygen thief wearing a baseball cap with a hoodie pulled over their head.

What's worse, even if you do get clear footage and can identify them, and assuming the cops can find and arrest them, they get up in front of the judge and get off with a slap on the wrist anyway, meanwhile your car is lying somewhere stripped and burnt and you're left arguing with the insurance company because they've just discovered you didn't meet some condition in the fine print!

My point is, spend your money on something that will stop the bastards stealing it in the first place!

How you secure the car depends a lot on how often you drive it, I've seen people put cars up on stands and remove the wheels, I've seen guys bolt anchor points to the floor and chain their car to the concrete, but stuff like that takes a lot of time and effort so you're not likely to drive it every week if you do that.

You could remove some other essential parts of the car and store them securely elsewhere, say pull the battery out, or remove the steering wheel and keep them in the house? And of course there is always the old hidden kill switches!

One big deterrent is sinking a couple of removable bollards into the driveway right in front of the roller door(s), not too hard to remove when you want to go for a drive, but they will make a thief think twice if it's obvious they can't get the car out of the shed. Have the locks positioned so they're easy to undo with the roller door open, but impossible to get at from the front with it closed.

As dgp said above, you can do a lot to make the shed itself more secure for not much money too, like weld or bolt sheets of wire mesh to the frame of the shed (under the outer sheets), and replacing the tech screws holding the wall sheets on with pop rivets (they can still be drilled of course but it's a lot more difficult than screws).

In the end, if somebody REALLY wants your particular car then there's no stopping them, but 95% of the time if you make life hard enough they will move on to easier pickings.

Andrew

EYY and VS_Pete like this.
  4. Bigfella237

Members Ride:

marty351 likes this.
  5. Tonner Matt

Tonner Matt Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
    As others have said.....Bollards in front of the garage doors are a great deterrent, Sensor lights or a savage dog also work well to a point.
    There is another type of system similar to a buzzer on the local corner shops door.....You mount the sensor in your shed, garage or wherever you like and if the beam is broken it sets of a remote buzzer/alarm that you keep in your house somewhere.... Like your bedroom of a night time. This system is obviously only useful if you're at home and some scumbag gets into your garage/shed.
    From memory it was made by a company called Swan.

On a humorous note you could always get yourself a Trunk Monkey:

One of these would be ideal for security of your vehicle.

strgas likes this.
  6. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Bollards,bollards & more bollards...some noisey mean guard dogs + other little tricks to stop car starting/rolling.

Alarms,kill switches & gps trackers more suited if car gets driven to work & parked out of sight.

Insurance is good last resort to have but I still rather know my ride is still in the garage where I left it.

The harder you make it the better so they'll either give up or get caught.

7. stockies

stockies Bannana

Members Ride:
    G6E Turbo
    Current setup:

Electric front gate - on remote (connected to home alarm system)
    Sensor lights in eves (10 LED downlights)
    Roller door on remote (again connected to home alarm)
    IP cameras in front yard, driveway and in garage (also one in backyard incase they jump neighbors fence - fence is 6 foot)
    (cameras are hooked into monitor in house so I can see all around my property and can also be veiwed through TV in living room using output from camera NVR device - can also access from app on phone)
    Garage is separate from house (less than 4 meters) but is brick not metal. power and comms is underground (very costly)
    Sensor light in garage that turns on overhead lights for better camera images
    Alarm sensor in garage (connected to home alarm)
    GPS tracking installed in both vehicles that are in garage
    GPS tracker will kill power to fuel pump via phone app
    House has roller shutters on all windows and crimsafe mesh/bars on toilet window and front/rear doors.

Even then, most of it is a visible deterrent and I'm hoping that the opportunistic thief will rob another house, because as stated above - unless the police want to help, the offender will most likely get a slap on the wrist and I'll be left with a melted car or a burnt down house.

Spent a fair bit setting all this up - but I'll be damned if some self entitled prick who thinks he/she can help themselves to my pride and joys is going to get half a chance to do so. There's also nothing worse the then feeling violated knowing that someones been in your home.

Cannot stress CCTV enough to look after your cars/house 24x7, 365
    Don't care if its a cheap system or expensive one - or if you need a security license to install - I feel it needs to be installed if you want to watch over your home/family/cars/dogs/whatever is in your property

ephect, marty351, EYY and 1 other person like this.
  8. strgas

strgas GRA = REAL HP

Members Ride:
    MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
    end of the day if they want it that bad they will steal it maybe not from your home but next time you take the car out for a cruise or at a car show , cameras are only good if they arnt wearing a mask , house alarms if someone is within ear shot and even brother to ring the cops if it goes off. example from years ago , Brand new BMW parked in under ground carpark secure front gate , theif uses an airilfe to set off car alarm again and again over afew weeks , after many false alarms and trips back to the installer and complaints from other residents he decides to turn off the alarm theif comes round shoots the airifle no alarm sounds and in he goes and steals the car .

9. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Just make sure they're loud. My HQ vibrates the house from the shed when its idling. No way it goes anywhere without the whole suburb knowing ;)

10. Bigfella237

Members Ride:
    Do we really need to give the low-lives another way to steal cars? This is a public forum after all.

I'm not a big fan of alarms for that reason, they're too unreliable and nobody pays any attention to them anyway.

Immobilizers, yes, GPS trackers, by all means, but the only effective alarm I ever saw was in a mates car where he fitted the alarm siren/speaker (that normally goes in the engine bay) up under the glove box inside the car, you just couldn't stay in there with it going off, it physically hurt, even with the windows down!

Andrew

11. marty351

marty351 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vl gemini
    Fort Knox, eat your heart out.

stockies likes this.
  12. stockies

stockies Bannana

Members Ride:
    G6E Turbo
    Yeah, I went all out with this place. Last place the ex missus liked to leave leave the doors unlocked, windows wide open etc.

Was a newer place - but we got "broken into" twice while we lived there - both times she never locked the front door, just pulled it shut and didn't ever bother with the deadlock above the handle. Both times insurance declined to pay out as the Police report stated the door was unlocked. Both times the neighbors rang the cops for me - they were a nice good old Italian couple.

Having stated that - if your front door just has a lock in the handle and that's all you use, I recommend a deadlock being installed above it straight away. Use the longest, fattest screws you can to anchor the striker plate in the door jamb - so it can't be kicked it, I also recommend this for your garage side doors, see if you can get them into the brickwork as well.

Another sort of side note for cameras, I'm using a Uni View NVR - http://en.uniview.com/Products/NVR/2_SATA/NVR302-08S/
    Only issue I have with it, is that I have it installed in a cupboard comms rack in the linen cupboard in the centre of the house. The two drives in it are quite loud while its on and I can hear the whine noise all over the house at night.

I also had a few issues when I first bought this place due to a rental/drug lab a doors down. Had a few people in my driveway at night since the houses look so similar and had the side door of the garage kicked in twice (hence the bit about the long, fat screws above) - also make sure you have a good quality door - not some cheap hollow thing.
    I've gotten pretty lucky with pricing for most things as I've got two good mates who are sparkys, and I've got a cabling and security license through work, and that most of the shutters where installed when I bought the place.

Neighbors in my current place are pricks - one extended the crap out of his house without warning and was working public holidays, nights, before 7am etc and is looking like moving in 3 generations of his family. The other neighbors I've literally only ever seen to 3 times in nearly 2 years. Can hear them and their grand kids and I assume their son (who lives in a tacked on complete DIY looking piece of crap on the back of their place) all the damn time however.

I feel more secure with everything I've done, but I have completely neglected the other parts of my place like landscaping, painting and new carpets etc.
    Next step is to plant some large tall bushes/hedges to make climbing over the fences a lot harder and to "seal in" the property from the neighbors.

EYY and marty351 like this.
  13. h8tensv6

h8tensv6 Active Member

Members Ride:
    2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
    One thing to add to this. Young guys these days can jump 6foot high fences with no problems. They don't seem to be deterred by them. A mate had some prick jumping his back fence a few times and needed to stop them. He had colour bond tin fence. He got some really strong glue and put it along the top of the fence and broke up some glass and embedded that in the glue with the points of the glass sticking up. Needless to say no one has gotten over his back fence since. Lol

strgas likes this.
  14. stockies

stockies Bannana

Members Ride:
    G6E Turbo
    Yeah that's a pretty good idea - My fences are wood and have those possum strips on the rear ones, thanks to neighbors at the rear.
    I'm not sure how embedded glass installed on the top would go down if the offenders report it after being caught...

15. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Wow, some really good ideas! Your setup sounds grouse stockies, definitely worth looking into a setup like that.

Looking into bollards and garage door locks like these (but I won't be paying $100+, I'll make some).

[​IMG]

Any experience with those wifi cctv systems? Or are the wired ones the best?

VS_Pete likes this.
  16. stockies

stockies Bannana

Members Ride:
    G6E Turbo
    Wifi ones seem to be extremely easy to hack/get into with default admin passwords - even when you have changed them on your NVR.
    D-link wifi ones are better. but at that price point - your wallet will want to have the wired ones instead.(unless your renting - but even then the property owner may let you have them installed, as it benefits them too)
    Hikvision have a heap of security problems too. If you don't mind that and you are just after a simple system - the wifi ones are ok, if your one of those people who don't bother changing default passwords on cameras and NVR's.

Cameras are a great visual deterrent - particularly at night, but unless you can view the footage from outside your property (ie at work or on your phone while not at home) I think its a bit of a waste. Having said that - some setups require a static IP for this and the service providers (optus/telstra etc) know how to change for that.

17. Fayeb

Fayeb New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Holden Commodore
    You can secure the garden shed through a number of ways. A huge range of padlocks and lockable door furniture are available in the market. Such accessories will help you to secure the shed to an extent.

Keeping CCTV surveillance at the shed will provide you alerts when trouble occurs. Also, the CCTV recording can be used as the valuable evidence when the case is filed.

Here are some things you should consider before getting a CCTV camera solutions

Camera Type:

There are many cameras available in the market like the dome, bullet, IR etc. Each camera has different functions and features. So when you purchase a camera, ensure that it suits your requirements.

Budgets:
    Get your cameras according to the budget you plan

Camera Position:
    Decide where to place the camera. Normally people keep the camera near the front door or gate.