Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shell V-Power Racing

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
I've got to say I've joined the BP Ultimate fan club also.. car seems to run smoother, more power, and better economy using it.

I have to use 98 octane fuel due to 10psi pulley and I will say that although optimax never gave me any trouble, the car seems happier with bp ultimate. Its all I will use now. My workmate with a pugeot 206 will agree also.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I used to use Optimax, after seeinh some people on this forum using BP Ultimate, and fill my tank with some, its Ultimate all the way!!!! I have tried V-Power, no different then Optimax I reckon.

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
the v-power stuff does make a difference sorta.. it makes u put the pedal down more due 2 feeling of driving a faster car.. haha
dunno if it was psychological or not, but it does feel like u get a betta take off on it..
but ye im a bp ultimate gal FTW!!!

izedso

It's not a family wagon!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Acclaim Wagon
I normally use Vortex98, seems to be slight power increase but the most important thing is I get 460-480k's to a tank. Used V-Power last week, only got 410k's. Normal unleaded I get 400-410. Mobil 98ron - 410-420k's. BP Ultimate 440-460k's.

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
i wouldnt put shell **** in my car
only mobil 8000
bp made my car ping **** loads
shell not as much
mobile not at all
mind you forced induction needs higher premium n/a doesnt really need it

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
so used up my tank of V-power yesterday, i got slightly better fuel consumption, got 370kms, where i normally get like 350....acceleration etc. felt the same...i filled up with BP Ultimate after reading how every1 likes that, so i'll give that and a go this week and see what happens, so far so good tho, lol.

boyley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute and Calais V
Guys I think we need to differentiate here on V6 and V8 fuel economy.

My 5Lt gets anywhere from 250-400 k's from 50lts of fuel thats 20-12.5 Lt's/ 100km's.

I think if I nursed it around I could do heaps better but I didn't buy a V8 to be a nurse.

On the fuel thing I have used every thing from Ethanol blend to V racing. The economy out of both these was sub standard but the V Racing was more power. Very expensive though 20% higher than standard ULP.

My car is pretty stock and I run normal ULP in it.

Most forums you visit BP Ultimate gets the nod. I use shell because I get a 4c/lt discount and thats the only reason.

coights VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute s2
Guys, re your fuel issue I'm lucky enough to work for Shell and therefore use their fuel as I get a good discount on the stuff.:whistling
Using the different Shell fuels in different vehicles over many years I can say that the fuels definately suit different cars. In that I mean that I find that Optimax is great in a 80series landruiser and zxr750 motorbike, but useless in the VS V6 and 60series cruiser. For the VS I find that the ULP95 seems best of the Shell fuels. More expensive doesn't always mean better
I would not reccomend the Optimax Extreeme (V-power 100octane) as I was interested in trying this out once, but after reading some info on ethonol fuels on the official government site (redirected from the shell web page), it reccomended that ethonol fuel not be used in older engines as it can be harmful.:unsure:
Ethonol fuels are listed as being abrasive (although the Shell mix is only5%), and can also attack the rubber components in the fuel system.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Just curious. How does our cars know we're using premium fuel??? I mean I got like extra 65k's using BP Ultimate. Which means my injectors aren't squirting as much fuel as in normal unleaded!!:D (Can cars taste fuels?? see if they are sweet?:p )
I know this mite be a stupid question but I'm learning. I'm always curious about cars especially when it comes to holdens!!!!:thumbsup:

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
higher octane fuel gives a better ignition, flame propergation,complete burning of all fuel particals in the cylinder and therefore more power from the motor and because you are getting more power, the motot will use less effort to get the car moving and keep it moving, thus better fuel consumption.
Octane is measured by the fuels resistance to pinging in high compression and advanced ignition or spark situations so, the more spark advance or compression a motor has the more power it will produce.
Obviousely you can't raise the compression without work, but the computer can advance spark a bit more with the higher octane fuel, this is done by using the knock sensor to detect when the motor pings.
And i don't like shell, all comments i have heared from ppl using it say its crap, especially for bikes. I use Vortex 98 with Octane Booster, as i normally find BP stations are always charge a little more.