Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shift Kit and Servo Installation

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
hey all, im not game enough to install the transgo shift kit stage 2, corvette servo and aftermarket trans cooler i bought a while ago as my friend who was going to help/show me is being unreliable. i was wondering if anyone would be willing to do the installation for me and show me how to do it as we go along? obviously ill pay you for your trouble, with cash or beers etc, we will figure something out. i live near brighton, adelaide, sa. if anyone is interested in helping me out could you shoot me a pm and we will go from there? thanks guys.

::Team420::

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs Statesman 5L
hey all, im not game enough to install the transgo shift kit stage 2, corvette servo and aftermarket trans cooler i bought a while ago as my friend who was going to help/show me is being unreliable. i was wondering if anyone would be willing to do the installation for me and show me how to do it as we go along? obviously ill pay you for your trouble, with cash or beers etc, we will figure something out. i live near brighton, adelaide, sa. if anyone is interested in helping me out could you shoot me a pm and we will go from there? thanks guys.
Just check out your local auto trans place, i rang a place in mildura and they install the kit for something like $250 and thats INCLUDING the kit, thats a very practical price, also chuck them an extra $40 - 50 and they'll do the corvette servo. The bloke said to me he just puts it on the hoist and will be done by lunch time if it's there in the morning, the box stays in the car they just take off the pan.

But thats just my opinion. Ring around and check prices, if you want to do it yourself for the experiance i have no idea :p

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
not easy to do yourself at home lying on your back for a couple hours.
give Bruce Cussans Automatics a call on marion road, they do performance transmissions, near corner marion road and sturt road next to that camper van place. they used to any way, not sure if they still do.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
ok thanks for the tips guys, ill look into getting it professionally done

chrrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Brolina 3.8 Turbo
with the shift kit, the only anoying thing really is sticking the bits back into the trans once you are finished with them. If you can get your car up high enough at home it shouldnt be a biggie. Corvette servo takes only 15 minutes to do.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
so far ive only managed to get one quote and that was $400 for it to be fitted. thats with me providing the kit and servo and them (adelaide automatic) fitting it. am i right to think that that price sounds like a bit of a rip off??

skootaroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS wagon
I fitted my transgo stage 2 kit and think it is the best thing ever, but honestly the worst thing about the conversion was working under a dripping transmission.
The instructions are very clear when you have the parts in front of you, the job is easy and it gives you a lot of confidence in your work.
One thing I wish I had done was install a transmission temperature guage before I did my kit, so I had before and after readings.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
thats a rip of man , i had my gear box serviced and flushed and what not and the shift kit and servo installed for $400 in vic , i supplied the parts thou

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
but for a mechanical novice would it be realistic for me to do? i can do a basic service to my car, e.g. change engine oil, engine oil filter, flush coolant, change spark plugs, ignition leads, change air filter and fan belt, change transmission oil and filter etc. thats about as far as my mechanical experience goes as that is all i have tried so far. going on that do you think i could do the installation? i have read the instructions a fair few times over and they are very clear but im not 100% confident to try it alone incase i stuff something up and dont know how to fix it!

skootaroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS wagon
You seem to be fine, if you change the trans fluid you're halfway there, you need to be OK to open out two holes with a drill (I know people not qualified to do this) and the only other thing that is irreversable is grinding the chamfer on the spool valve, even I was concerned about this but I made sure I was not rushed and it turned out well.
I only have 2 ramps so I put the front wheels on the ramps and then the back on axle stands and it was just enough to be comfortable, I even worked under there in the rain, I was nice and dry.
Now that I have done it, I can see that I could tune the transmission to do anything I wanted it to do and that is a really good feeling.