Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shift kits

Egnitevt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 S-03
Can anyone tell me what exactly is the main purpose of a shift kit, why do people get one instaled?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
they just make the shifts alot quicker and firmer....factory/stock setup and programming for the transmission is set so the shift are quite long and smooth, making the car feel very refined and gentle to drive.
but these long shifts put more strain on parts of the trans and are no good once an engine has been worked or if its used for towing,etc..
a shift kit eliminates the long shifts and also (to varying degrees, depending on the shift kit) make the shifts very firm in accordance with throttle %...ie, a shift while driving under light throttle will be softer than a shift over 50% throttle, which is when you get the "chirping into gear" happening. which is simply a very hard and fast shift which causes the wheels to spin very briefly (chirp).

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
where can u buy them? and how much

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
you can buy b&m ones from most auto parts retailers (autobarn, supercheap, repco,etc..) some of these places might also be able to order the transgo one....which from what i understand is the better of the two.
ive a got a transgo stage ll in my trans and i love it, i recommend it to anyone who enjoys "real driving".
other than that any transmission shops would be able to get anything you want, along with ebay, there's always some shift kits on there. they usually cost around $200 for the kit (transgo).

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
is there anything else you should do to the trans to minimise damage like a trans cooler

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Senator Signature
or do burnouts...

but most cars have a cooler built into the radiator