Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shifty dash cluster swap??

357 ss ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Hi, im looking at buying a vy sv8. The car is very tidy and well looked after but it has only 80000kms on the clock. im a little suspicious that someone might of changed the dash cluster.
Can Holdens plug in a Tech2 to see how many kms the car has done?
Are the service history details only recorded at the dealership where the service was on done or are all the dealership computers linked?
I dont want to get stuck with a 300000 on the clock

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Hi, im looking at buying a vy sv8. The car is very tidy and well looked after but it has only 80000kms on the clock. im a little suspicious that someone might of changed the dash cluster.
Can Holdens plug in a Tech2 to see how many kms the car has done?
Are the service history details only recorded at the dealership where the service was on done or are all the dealership computers linked?
I dont want to get stuck with a 300000 on the clock

I'm sure the cluster has a serial numnber and this should match the VIN on the car - Holden should be able to tell you but they may charge to do the work.

Muzzytt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss series 2
mate i just baught a 04 s2 ss with 78k on the clock . steering wheel is in very good condition as well as most of the car including underneath very clean .u can tell just by overall lkook of car .
Im sure you can get RTA records of the car that should give you idea if kays are correct

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Does the seller have the service book or receipts if so look at dates and what km it had at various dates and see if it all corresponds, or ring the mechanic or dealer who has serviced it and ask when it was last in and at what km. As far as low km 80,000km is not that low for a VY my 2001 VX SS which I have had from new has only 72,000km on it.

Chrisvyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VY SS
I have discovered that the cluster will read whatever the old cluster had on it before you changed it, so if yours has 50000 and you switch it for a cluster that has 25000, once you put the key in and switch it on hey presto 50000ks will appear.

Cheers

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
Whover told you that is a wanker!!! The cluster odometer chip is the only record , if you swap to another cluster the new one reads whatever was on it from the donor vehicle. You can use Tech 2 to zero any odometer fitted to the vehicle if it has under 100,000 klm on it , after that it will not reset.
I have a 2002 VY Calais with 150,000 klms on it runs sweet as , ( S/Charged V6) . You will get 300,000 klm out of a V8 easy as long as its been looked after. There's no record of what cluster goes with what car from new.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I have discovered that the cluster will read whatever the old cluster had on it before you changed it, so if yours has 50000 and you switch it for a cluster that has 25000, once you put the key in and switch it on hey presto 50000ks will appear.

Cheers

Nope - not so. Your discovery is flawed. :)

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
You can use Tech 2 to zero any odometer fitted to the vehicle if it has under 100,000 klm on it , after that it will not reset.
It's actually 100km, not 100,000km. So basically you can only program a brand new cluster with a tech2.

Unofficially there is a way to reprogram then once they pass 100km though.