Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shortened Shocks: Options and recomendations

Defected

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 Wagon
As the title suggests, looking for some options and recomendations for shortened shocks. Will be looking to put SSL or equivalent springs in my SSVR wagon. Car has done 130k kms so I wouldn't want to push my luck with the stock shocks surviving too long wth lowered springs.

Have seen the deal on KONI FSD through holmart but from reading up on them they don't like suit lowered springs.

Beyond that how have people found MCA and Shockworks coilovers in way of retaining a level of comfort.

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can’t speak highly enough of the Shockworks team and their product. I have mine set to full soft and the ride is great, and they have a huge amount of travel, especially their updated rears with custom top mounts.

And all dampening is adjustable on car as the shocks are inverted in the rear.

I went down the king spring and short Monroe shocks route on my last car, rode like **** tbh.

struggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline + 2013 FG MKII G6ET
I can only vouch for Shockworks coil overs, as I haven't used any of the others you've mentioned.

I've had them on my FG G6ET for over 1200,000km. Absolutely fantastic

One day I'll do the Redline.

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
dont know about the wagon but i found these to be perfect if you are using as a daily.
just picked up the car from having the Koni FSD'S fitted with the existing Eibach springs. all i can say is WINNER! Absolutely Brillant. changed the car completely. could tell the difference as soon as i drove out of the workshop. my suspension guy said the best commodore combo he has ever driven for a street car. i would do it again in a heartbeat. much more planted,tighter but no harshness at all.
cheers
warrick

Defected

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 Wagon
Might give the guys at shockworks a call, will be round the corner from them next week for otr and tune.

Warrick I heard the FSD struts are fairly compliant compared to FE3, how much of a drop are the eibach springs?

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
hi
springs dropped it by about 30mm. i think these shocks are ideal for a daily as they are firm enough to make the handling much better without getting any harshness or thump in the car. vast improvement on the standard FE 1.5 in the calais. the shocks really finished the setup off. much better than the Eibachs with the standard shocks,just what i wanted. in my previous VE Calais i went with coilovers and hated them,main reason i sold it.

Sheppbloke

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Mine has had the Shockworks coilovers on it for around a year now and am very happy with them. Brett, Chris and Tim provide great service and advice. I'll be booking back in to get the upgrade rear end set up when I can. Being able to get the exact ride height is nice but it takes a bit of work over time to get it exactly where you want it. I run it at about 370mm hub to guard front and back which seems a good height to not worry too much about scraps etc

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Gotta ask... I thought the important issue for shocks were that they have the correct compression and rebound damping rates (both for low and high speed) for the spring rates being used. Also, sufficient oil volume to avoid heat and foam issues killing the damming ability is critical (which is where gas pressurise chambers help). Haven’t heard of shock travel itself being any sort of limiting factor.

So other than damming rates, what is wrong with standard shocks when used with lowered springs?

Defected

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 Wagon
Gotta ask... I thought the important issue for shocks were that they have the correct compression and rebound damping rates (both for low and high speed) for the spring rates being used. Also, sufficient oil volume to avoid heat and foam issues killing the damming ability is critical (which is where gas pressurise chambers help). Haven’t heard of shock travel itself being any sort of limiting factor.

So other than damming rates, what is wrong with standard shocks when used with lowered springs?
I'll jump in and state I have no idea, but as my car has done 130k I figure new socks would go with the new springs

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Standard shocks can cause the spring to become uncaptive in the spring seat in older commodores with a separate spring and shock in the rear, ends basically with that corner of the car hitting the deck.