Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should i buy a Holden or not?

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Hey guys just joined the forums normally in to imports Mitsi's and Subarus etc.Thinking of getting a new car with a bit more power as my daily driver is just gutless and unreliable.Checking out the market with my budget i think i am in the range of VT-VX's with either a 5litre V8 or if i'm lucky a 5.7.Wanted a VY but i don't think i could get an eight with my budget.Prefer a manual as well so just wanted to know compared to eg a Subaru Wrx how reliable are Holden's well the VT range and are they a better bang for buck then an import turbo.Also is it worth to look at a V6 Super Charged version or in the long run i'd be better off with an eight to start with.Any info would be great to help out a newbie thanks

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
to be or not to be, how long is a piece string?

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
Stay away from series 1 VT's, I've heard there rather un reliable. I'd try and stretch your budget for a ls1 vx.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Like any other car - find a good example that hasn't been thrashed, and has been well maintained, and they're a very good car. If you can, go for a VX Series II, given that they were the newest of the VT/VX shape and sorted out a lot of the issues with the previous models.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Lets not be cryptic. what's your budget?

I would personally be steering clear of anything prior to a VX Series 2.

Reasons:

1. by then the LS1's were pretty much sorted out in terms of issues. Still did get the ones with piston clap but overall they where reliable.
2. Anything before the VX SII doesn't have the updated rear IRS setup and will have severe camber issues.
3. VX looks nicer than VT. ;)

If you are getting a car of that age, you would want one that is stock. This is because those cars are priced within the reach of muppets who think slapping on an exhaust makes it a V8 supercar and spend weekends boucning it on limiter.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Stay away from series 1 VT's, I've heard there rather un reliable. I'd try and stretch your budget for a ls1 vx.

Why are Series 1 VT's unreliable? The 5L was well and truly sorted out by the time the VT came out.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
Why are Series 1 VT's unreliable? The 5L was well and truly sorted out by the time the VT came out.

There's allot more parts to break besides the motor. But I have been told and heard that the VT's aren't refined enough and had allot of problems. Probably because they were the first of the model and Holden had yet to sort out problems with the series 2 up to vx ect I guess.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Thanks guys for all your input my budgets around 10Grand.Yeah heard that the early vt's had heaps of issues etc.I just wanted to have a daily driver and be able to take it to the drag strip and track days nothing to serious.I haven't found any that i wanted to test drive yet keep finding auto's.