Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should i get a 3 Inch exhaust system or a 2.5

bartox86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi every1.
I have just purchased a new ve ssvz ute (that i love!!) and im looking at getting my exhaust done. From what i understand there is no difference power wise between at 2.5 and a 3inch exhaust, unless u were looking at seriously upgrading ur Cam or getting it supercharged etc. I wont b getting this done while the car is under warranty so thats out of the equation for now.
What i want to know really is every1's opinion on whether to go the 3 or 2.5. There is not much diff in price so that dosen't phase me, im just wondering if the 3 is a bit over the top. I used to have a 2.5 on my 07 VE and it sounded awesome. I realise the 3 will b louder, but dose it take away the quality of the sound.
Im looking at getting a the full hurricane system, so ceramic coated headers, hiflow cats and 2.5 or 3inch exhaust. With OTR and tune. (does any1 in Brissy have this that i could have a look at maybe??)
Cheers every1!!

helmotbros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
I am wrestling with the exact same question atm. Ill be watching this thread closely for people's replies.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Id go the 3" mate, from the ones ive heard they have a deeper rumble but will also cost ya tad more

when i just had the 3" catback i loved it (also depends on which exhuast you go aswell for quality of sound and droan ect)

Atomic-SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
My 08 SS sedan I sold last year
4-1 pacemaker headers into a 3" hurricane system
Growler OTR intake (the one with the twin pods)

Pro's
Huge power gains (obviously)
Deep rumble - relatively quiet on idle and low revs
Extremely aggressive sound and very loud on open throttle
Occasionally shoots flames out the tail pipe

Cons
Fairly loud drone in cabin sitting on the highway
Hurricane system I had ended up with a rust hole in the muffler

Currently waiting for Holden to find me my new ssv z series ute. This time around I will be using;
1 and 3/4" headers - 304 stainless steel, TIG welded
3" cat back system with hi flo cats - x-flow design - 304 stainless steel
twin varex mufflers - remote operation - quad 76mm tips - all 304 stainless

Xforce Holden VE SS SVR R8 Commodore 1"3/4 headers 3" Varex Exhuast System | eBay

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
id go the 3" thats what ive got, wouldnt the mods you mention negate the warrantee anyway?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
been thinking about this myself for my Clubsport, the stock system is criminally quiet and I'm not in it for extra oomph more the note.

bartox86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
id go the 3" thats what ive got, wouldnt the mods you mention negate the warrantee anyway?

Yer on that subject...... hard to get a straight answer on that hey. The dealership said as long as i got a Maf tune then it SHOULD b right, but also said its a case by case thing. If its obviously been thrashed to the extreme and causes problems, then they said it might void parts of your warranty, but within reason it should b all good. Hopefully!! Also from what ive read on these forums, it can vary alot and come down to your service manager and what the actual problem is.
Cheers 4 the help guys, i think im gonna go the 3inch.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
As much as it may cost you a little more initially, if you go for Walkinshaw headers/cats and cat back you should be OK with retaining your warranty

Kenny23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
3 inch would definitely have more potential down the track if u know u'll be modifying the car. I guess the only "downside" if i may call it that is that it does drone more than a 2.5 inch.

I personally have a 2.5 inch, but either 2.5 or 3 inch would be 100% better than stock haha.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
3 inch would definitely have more potential down the track if u know u'll be modifying the car. I guess the only "downside" if i may call it that is that it does drone more than a 2.5 inch.

I personally have a 2.5 inch, but either 2.5 or 3 inch would be 100% better than stock haha.

not really true for droan, i have the full kpm 3" with 1 7/8 headers 100cpi cats, decent cam and heads ect and its loud as! good quality loud but when crusing no droan its quite

if you get some decent quality rear mufflers on it, it shouldnt droan on ya!