Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should I trade in my 350km VE Equipe Series II with 6000km SV6 series II?

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
You can afford to lose $7500 in 350km but you can't afford to run a V8? WTF???

My advice:

You're making a stupid financial decision for no real world benefits. You chose the car for practicality. Is an SV6 going to feel anything like as sporty as a Golf GTI? NO BLOODY WAY!

Will you notice the difference in performance between the two cars in most situations? Nope.

So you're effectively buying a $7,500 genuine Holden body kit.

If you want to add some sporty feel and decent performance, get a bit older V8 for less of a change over and you'll still be able to afford the insurance and petrol.

Dudez

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Equipe
You can afford to lose $7500 in 350km but you can't afford to run a V8? WTF???

My advice:

You're making a stupid financial decision for no real world benefits. You chose the car for practicality. Is an SV6 going to feel anything like as sporty as a Golf GTI? NO BLOODY WAY!

Will you notice the difference in performance between the two cars in most situations? Nope.

So you're effectively buying a $7,500 genuine Holden body kit.

If you want to add some sporty feel and decent performance, get a bit older V8 for less of a change over and you'll still be able to afford the insurance and petrol.

Well basically I am not loosing $7,500 in 350kms :). I am only loosing $2,500 for the bad decision in gettng the Equipe :)

New Equipe Wagon is $36,990 on the road and new SV6 Wagon is $41,990 or $42,990 for MY12 on the road ----> $5,000 - $6,000 different. I am now paying $7,500 to upgrade to SV6.

I am not expecting the SV6 to feel like the GTi I was only missing that sporty feeling when driving the Equipe. Btw, the Golf GTi IS NOT as good as what people think :) beside its a small car.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well basically I am not loosing $7,500 in 350kms :). I am only loosing $2,500 for the bad decision in gettng the Equipe :)

New Equipe Wagon is $36,990 on the road and new SV6 Wagon is $41,990 or $42,990 for MY12 on the road ----> $5,000 - $6,000 different. I am now paying $7,500 to upgrade to SV6.

I am not expecting the SV6 to feel like the GTi I was only missing that sporty feeling when driving the Equipe. Btw, the Golf GTi IS NOT as good as what people think :) beside its a small car.

It's also a GTI, not a GTi (it's a VW Golf not a Suzuki Swift!) but that's beside the point.

You aren't "UPGRADING" by going from an Equipe to an SV6.

Bottom line: It's a stupid thing to consider!

Dudez

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Equipe
It's also a GTI, not a GTi (it's a VW Golf not a Suzuki Swift!) but that's beside the point.

You aren't "UPGRADING" by going from an Equipe to an SV6.

Bottom line: It's a stupid thing to consider!

Thanks for your advise Rufys ... I thouhgt SV6 is better than the equipe as the price different when brand new is between $5,000 - $6,000.

Any advise on getting SS wagon for $40,000?

Cheers

brad VE SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV redline wagon
Say whaaaaaat, how did you get that out what he wrote?

He has quoted can't afford a v8 but can afford to trade in a car that hasn't even burnt a tank of fuel.. Then suggests fuel savings when the above comment is being sarcastic about not being able to afford a v8..
You can't see that? Just the way I read it..

Dudez

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Equipe
He has quoted can't afford a v8 but can afford to trade in a car that hasn't even burnt a tank of fuel.. Then suggests fuel savings when the above comment is being sarcastic about not being able to afford a v8..
You can't see that? Just the way I read it..

I can see that :)

What I meant was I can't afford to pay the different to upgrade to V8... not running it.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
Geez you've got a brand new car. I would do one of two things.

1) If you were desperate to get rid of it, I would try and sell it privately. Then buy a brand new SV6 (which you would be able to do as you wouldn't have to worry about dealer trade in margins and a no trade discount).

2) If you wanted to just get a better handling car, mods to the suspension and brakes wouldn't be that much - and as others have said, you'd more than likely end up with a better handling car than factory anyway!

I'd personally go for option 2, and wait until the VF arrives at the end of this year to see what goodies you get with the new model. I know its going to be a bit lighter, and the V8's at least will get chunkier engines and something else worth waiting for :D

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd personally go for option 2, and wait until the VF arrives at the end of this year to see what goodies you get with the new model. I know its going to be a bit lighter, and the V8's at least will get chunkier engines and something else worth waiting for :D

If you knew all that then you'd also know the VF isn't due until 2013.