Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should oxygen sensors give the same reading

Scott1990r

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 ute
Getting code 46 fuel/air ratio differs from left to right bank
All ready done Cam sensor and crank sensor, plugs, leads and mass temp volt as it was throwing other codes although I'm not sure it the Vs throws a code for o2 sensors
I've chucked a multi reader on 02 sensors as the idle it still slightly out and getting a reading of 0.46 on right sensor and 0.69 on left with I'm guessing is putting out more ratio on the one side throwing it out should I replace both sensors or could it be something else

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
How are you getting code 46 and the description? Code 46 for a V6 PCM is "No Reference Pulses While Cranking".

Scott1990r

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 ute
Sorry meant code 78 since I unplugged Oxy sensors to get a reading the code hasn't shown up but the code went away obviously when I reset computer doing other sensors but it's back

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VS V6 has a known wiring issue which stuffs up the O2 readings on one bank.

You can't really just measure the voltage at the O2 sensor unless in open loop mode, when in closed loop mode the PCM swings the fuel from rich to lean to rich so you won't get a constant reading.

Scott1990r

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 ute
What's open loop mode?
What am I best doing first in regards to the error code 78 the idle isn't bad but noticeable and doesn't seem enough pressure coming out the exhaust

Scott1990r

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 ute
Or could it possibly be the eye valve or iac valve causing it

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Here you are, all the things you wanted to know (or maybe didn't want to know) about the V6 Fuel Control System. Also DTC78 info:

DTC 78 V6 PCM - LONG TERM FUEL TRIM (LTFT) DELTA HIGH

Circuit Description:
The PCM controls left to right cylinder bank fuel delivery separately based on their respective oxygen sensor signals. If the PCM detects too great a difference between the left to right cylinder bank Long Term Fuel Trim values, it will set DTC 78.
DTC 78 will set when the left bank Long Term Fuel Trim value differs from the right bank Long Term Fuel Trim by more than 59% for 32 seconds while in closed loop.
With a current DTC 78 set, the PCM will not illuminate the MIL (Check Powertrain Lamp). DTC 78 will clear when the fault no longer exists and the ignition switch is cycled "OFF" and "ON".

Diagnostic Aids:
Lean or faulty injector(s) on one side of the engine.
Cracked or fouled spark plug(s).
Exhaust or inlet manifold leak.
Make sure oxygen sensor leads are not swapped.

Attachments

• VS V6 Fuel Control System.pdf
    437 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:

Scott1990r

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 ute
Thanks for that info I've only put new leads and plugs in since last week had a look over them and the sensor wiring and all the plugs leads and wiring looks fine

Scott1990r

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 ute
Had a close inspection on exhaust and manifold and can't hear any leaks but will double check tomorrow

Scott1990r

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 ute
All sorted thanks for everyone's reply's I checked injectors and we're all fine today changed the tps and iac valve and also put new oxygen sensors in idles better so much more responsive with no hesitation when you put your foot on throttle I did notice the Iac valve stuck in so weather that was the issue not to sure but one of the three things has made a massive difference if not all of them also new belt and tension pulley