Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should you change Diff oil in a VE?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
So on all my older cars i used to change the diff oil every 3 years or so just because i like to be sure my baby runs smooth for as long as possible.
There's not much info or even a spec for the oil in the VE diff other than Holden claiming it's sealed for life. I can't help wondering how long is life ? When it blows up does that mean it's life is up... Car has done almost 200000 k's which is a long time without an oil change.

So what oil can i use in it ? Do i need any special additives from Holden ?
I've still got a few litres of Castrol LSX90 left over from the last car, can i use that ? If not is there a sexy synthetic one i can get for it ?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Just searched castrol for VE Commodore and got this
-Filled for life.
-Manufacturer recommends Holden differential oil Part No. 92184900 or Castrol SAF Carbon Mod. If Castrol SAF Carbon Mod is unavailable, may use Castrol SAF Carbon Mod Plus for top up only. Refer to Dealer.

Edit-which equates to 75w-95 oil. Penrite and Nulon also just say they're filled for life. Not sure if you can/should but if you do atleast you know what you should be using.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Change it.

Use Castrol SAF Carbon Modified SAE 75W/85 (API GL5 GM) This is what GM specify but I suspect you may have trouble getting it here retail.

I would probably try a few Holden dealers first up and see if they can supply you with the correct product.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
By Gregory's manual looks really easy. Undo drain plug, drain, do up, undo fill plug, fill, do up. Short drive and check. Both plugs on driver's side by the look, so I guess you know enough to figure out which is which. Just looks like it might be a bit of squeeze going by the pics.

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon
By Gregory's manual looks really easy. Undo drain plug, drain, do up, undo fill plug, fill, do up. Short drive and check. Both plugs on driver's side by the look, so I guess you know enough to figure out which is which. Just looks like it might be a bit of squeeze going by the pics.

Before undoing the drain plug and draining the diff first undo the fill plug just to make sure there are no issues first. I know someone who drained their gearbox oil only to find the fill plug was seized.

vr355stroker

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 clubby w/Ls3, 05 VZ Lumina
Before undoing the drain plug and draining the diff first undo the fill plug just to make sure there are no issues first. I know someone who drained their gearbox oil only to find the fill plug was seized.

good point