Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

show us your painted console/dash

jimmybobrowe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
so guys how do u paint the dash like that? i wanna do it to mine

There is no real trick to do it really. But the way I did it basically was:
1. Take out the two dash panels, this can be done by following this site: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...ole-vy-vz.html
2. I used metho to clean away any chemicals that was on it.
3. Sand it back, with water and wed'n'dry sandpaper, to roughen it so the paint has something to stick to. Use sandpaper over 1200. If you're not going to do the centre, just make sure you dont sand it.
4. Tape up the area you don't want to paint, take your time with this. As fustrating as it is, it makes a lot of difference in the end result. Dont use good tape as it'll rip the paint right off!!
5. Apply an even coat of plastic primer to the panels. When dry, sand it back lightly. Just remember, the bumps that show now will show later, so try and get rid of any bumps and holes. I used two coats of primer and then cleaned the panels lightly with metho.
6. Spray on the colour u want the panels to be. I used the brand White Knight I think. Less is better, you dont want any runs, although this is easier said than done because of the shape of the panels. I used a total of 3 coats to get the colour i wanted, but some people might prefer more. I didnt sand at all between these coats. Just try and keep it in a dust free warm area for best results.
7. I then applied 2 coats of clear coat just to protect the colour a little better and it makes it looks nice and shiny.
8. Remove the tape, install the panels back into the car and enjoy your work!!
Some people might have a better way to do it, but I think mine didnt turn out too bad!!

holdenvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz executive
There is no real trick to do it really. But the way I did it basically was:
1. Take out the two dash panels, this can be done by following this site: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...ole-vy-vz.html
2. I used metho to clean away any chemicals that was on it.
3. Sand it back, with water and wed'n'dry sandpaper, to roughen it so the paint has something to stick to. Use sandpaper over 1200. If you're not going to do the centre, just make sure you dont sand it.
4. Tape up the area you don't want to paint, take your time with this. As fustrating as it is, it makes a lot of difference in the end result. Dont use good tape as it'll rip the paint right off!!
5. Apply an even coat of plastic primer to the panels. When dry, sand it back lightly. Just remember, the bumps that show now will show later, so try and get rid of any bumps and holes. I used two coats of primer and then cleaned the panels lightly with metho.
6. Spray on the colour u want the panels to be. I used the brand White Knight I think. Less is better, you dont want any runs, although this is easier said than done because of the shape of the panels. I used a total of 3 coats to get the colour i wanted, but some people might prefer more. I didnt sand at all between these coats. Just try and keep it in a dust free warm area for best results.
7. I then applied 2 coats of clear coat just to protect the colour a little better and it makes it looks nice and shiny.
8. Remove the tape, install the panels back into the car and enjoy your work!!
Some people might have a better way to do it, but I think mine didnt turn out too bad!!

thanx for that

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
ba xr6 turbo paint, turned out nicely

Attachments

• m_0b5a5dffc48d4308849fab1521e5e5c6.jpg
    m_0b5a5dffc48d4308849fab1521e5e5c6.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 250

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
you were conceived in a xr6 turbo... cause ur 2 years old .... LMFAO zingggg

Magee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Im considering painting my console but i dont want it to look tacky like some do, i was wondering if some people could post pics of thier interior painting that they have done.

im thinking of doing a black down the centre of the console with silver around the edge to match my satin chrome handbrake and shifter, and silver cluster surround, im not a fan of bright blues/reds cause they dont realy match the interior.

PS i did a search and couldnt find any threads like this, so dont shoot me!!!

hell yeah man that sounds good upload pics when its done

Magee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
If you change the colour of the centre section of the console, how do you intend to deal with the lettering on the radio?

thats easy spend extra money and get another head unit