Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

shutter on take off and had xlr8ing

minimefx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon, vx executive
go our vl executive rego yesturday. wooohooo. but when we take off from a standing start on xlr8 hard there is a shutter in the car.(gearbox, tailshaft, diff? )engine does have a slight miss fire, will service next week. i have had the 18" wheels balanced, fitted new slotted disc rotors and pads so i know they are all good. What is your ideas on the shutter? is it talky, gearbox (changes gears fine), tail shaft or diff?.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
Shudder is usually caused by trans slipping, engine/ trans rubber mounts, tailshaft bearing or diff.

minimefx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon, vx executive
it passed rwc last week. i will get under it tommorrow and check the mounts for movement and check oils in trany and diff, thanks jatsvl your are very helpful

Nackerz

Rollin
Reaction score
Members Ride
2 n/a vl's 1 twin turbo vl vn ss vy sv8
with your tailshaft if you drop it out of the diff does it drop down heaps?

this should be so

if not the bearing has been replaced and tailshaft not joined back together correctly

or if it hasn't been changed that you know of...where the centre bearing for the tailshaft is in the middle of the tailshaft if you can push it towards the bottom of the car (so up when underneath the car)
and it has alot of play it will need replacing if you get stuck yell out and i or jatsvl or anybody else will be glad to help you out mate

minimefx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon, vx executive
changed tailshaft with a spare (no different) but notice gear box mounts broken. i have replaced the mounts tonight so i will try it again in the morning. also felt the gears going up and down cruising between 80-100 but when i put the power button on its fine. is my gearbox in need of replacing?

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
that is the torque converter clutch (overdrive) engaging and disengaging, and it is normal putting pwr button cancels fourth/overdrive.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
it passed rwc last week. i will get under it tommorrow and check the mounts for movement and check oils in trany and diff, thanks jatsvl your are very helpful

I have the same problem in my VR, shudders when you accel hard. It passed a RWC last week too, turns out the left hand engine mount is broken.

minimefx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon, vx executive
no more shudder now i changed the gearbox mounts

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
no more shudder now i changed the gearbox mounts

good to hear! did you buy new or second hand because new is worth shopping around for there is a huge price difference on MACKAY mounts depending on where you buy them. I found RAPCO very expensive and a different price for left and right.