Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Sic six?

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by Problemchild_87, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Problemchild_87

Problemchild_87 Member

Members Ride:
    VX S pac manual/VE sportswagon omega Z-series
  2. wogstyler

wogstyler New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim sc L67
    This is a cairns mob hey. I have seen there ute at Townsville drags 1 nite and it ran like a bucket of ****!! I dont know wat the problem was but he couldnt get it running even close to properly. I have also seen it at a car show we had down here in Innisfail and from memory it didnt have the biggest power figure I have seen on a supercharged V6. Also another thing I didnt like about them is that they try to sell you a aftermarket ecu (which aint cheap) But the standard ecu is more than up to the task of handling the engine mods!!

3. VT-565

VT-565 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT
    Their demo ute makes over 400hp at the tyres.
    I've never seen it at the strip, but thats only a matter of time.
    They've put a lot of R & D into that engine, with a lot of parts brought in from the States and modified to fit.
    Worth talking to, you can't write them off just through one persons OPINION.

4. wogstyler

wogstyler New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim sc L67
    Wen i seen the dyno sheet it wasnt that hi, maybe they have done some work on it since. And yes that was my OPINION only.

5. TI3VOM

TI3VOM Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore
    If you are looking at getting a motor built, maybe try these guys:

SRE ENGINE PACKAGES

They build engines for SUPERCARS (LARRY PERKINS),NASCARS (JIM RICHARDS) ,FORMULA 1 ADELAIDE ,HOLDEN 7 SECOND DRAG CAR ,SPORTS SEDANS QLD, SPEEDWAY WITH 327 SPRINT CARS AND STREET STOCKS.
    so they have to be pretty good.

6. Ross D.

Ross D. New Member

Members Ride:
    VS ute
    wogster- that ute is one of the highest powered v6 utes in qld quite easyly, and if you have spoken to him he actualy knows his ****! weather it be NA or forced. last dyno run was round 450 give or take and i've spoken to him many times about building a motor and hasn't said a thing about a new ecu

highly recommend them, if your a local to cairns go and see him and have a chat.

7. Problemchild_87

Problemchild_87 Member

Members Ride:
    they seem like the only guys serious about V6 engine building, everytime i mention V6 or Ecotec to builders they basically tell me to pi## o##

8. na3point8

na3point8 Member

9. TwinTurboHB

TwinTurboHB New Member

Members Ride:
    4.3L V6 Buick twin turbo
    G'day ProblemChild, If your considering sicsix for a SERIOUS performance V6 I cant recommend them enough!! I own the Hb Torana on there website which is a fresh 4.3L twin turbo V6 Buick motor. On my first visit to Townsville drags I ran 12.1sec @ 115mph on only 6lbs of boost! Every engine produced from these guys are personalised to suit whatever your application requirements. Once we do further work we will up the boost to 18lbs+ which my motor will cope with fine because of all the good gear inside, my aim is to have the quickest street registered V6 in Oz which is not far from our radar, watch this space...Remember sicsix build SERIOUS race/street engines not your off the shelf standard performance stuff..Good Luck.

10. Problemchild_87

Problemchild_87 Member

Members Ride:
    i have swapped a few emails with Ron, he seems to know his stuff and really enthusiastic in answering all my questions

Im in sydney

11. MACE

MACE Well-Known Member

I haven't had any experience with Sic six, with SRE just get everything in writing.

An engine builder I work with heaps and and am happy with is John Hamilton.

John Hamilton | Facebook

He does a fair bit with these engine builds/machining. There is a fair amount of tricks that he does to these engines internally such as doweling cam bearings to prevent them from spinning etc. Most certainly rock solid builds great or small.

In saying this though any quality engine build will set you back heaps in machining alone let alone the expertise to put it all together.

12. Problemchild_87

Problemchild_87 Member

Members Ride:
    thanks guys

13. Problemchild_87

Problemchild_87 Member

Members Ride:
    are there any good builders in sydney?

14. Problemchild_87

Problemchild_87 Member

Members Ride:
    bump has anyone had a motor built by someone in Sydney?

15. Matchport

Matchport New Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 Ute
    Just returned from a trip to the US Problemchild we now have a US company building our Billet rods, and forged pistons, still working on a supplier for a Billet crankshaft (sample crank on its way), we use a forged crank (4340) for our engine build at this stage, we are working on a "Halo girdel" for our engines to improve the botten end, we not only build our engines for our customers but we also drive our cars with the engines we build, yes our ute is a test mill at this stage we are up to 479 Rwhp 3.8 ltrs yes we had problems with it mainly the engine was moving aroud that mutch it keeps pulling the intercooler piping our, the engine is now solid mounted, in the make is a twin turbo, with a custom billet crank, we have to see how far we are going with this engine our aim is 700 +, we have a N/A engine with just over 279 rwhp, this car is after the fastest N/A in OZ, our blown unit when finished who knows.

16. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    when you say billet rods and forged pistons, can you clarify for exactly what engine you are doing this? i.e. VN-VR buick V6 (with 6.38" rods)

there is also some interest in a girdle for the Buick V6 (VN-VR) and possibly 4 or 6 bolt steel mains caps conversions as there are a number of members looking at big HP FI V6 builds :D

17. Matchport

Matchport New Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 Ute
    Immortality, when we build up a VN-VR engine over 350 bhp we use our billet main caps (# 2&3) and a set of ARP bolts, we have billet mains for #1 & 4, the problem we have is that the VN/VR cylinder heads on our flow bench will only go just over 200 cfm at .500 lift, Exhaust however is very good, we fit differend valves, for N/A and blown we use the same type valves (S/Steel) combustion chamber is somewhat changed, we only build 4Ltrs + engines, the rods are as long as we can get them to reduce cylinder wall load, the CD of the pistons is custom to suit the deck height. Halo girdle is for the Ecoteck, the series one (pre ecoteck) cylinder heads is the problem, we may have a way around this ( some aluminium heads may fit) but ill let you know in due time if this is going to work.

18. Jas.G

Jas.G Member

Members Ride:
    VN V6 4.3litre
    Just seen this post, What did you's run N/A with times? I have never heard of anyone running faster then 12.37@108mph in a N/A v6 commodore, an this was done in West Australia back in 2009...

19. na3point8

na3point8 Member

Hi Jas, i think their v6 might've been in a Torana or something so it was probably quicker than the old commo.

I'm still toying with mine, i'd like to go turbo if i can find a cheap kit, i'll just drop the comp with some thicker gaskets and try around 15-16lb boost. Otherwise i have a 240 @ 50 solid cam if staying n/a, but it really needs a stalled auto, not a manual and highway gears.

20. Jas.G

Jas.G Member

Members Ride:
    VN V6 4.3litre
    Would be cool to know more about it as i've never heard of it or anyone running a quick NA v6!!! I think they did a HB torry with a turbo buick. from memory it was to be the fastest street driven buick with F/I?? may be wrong thow...

My 43 stroker is still sitting on a stand and toying with the idea of 2 stages of nitrous on it.... the Vn now has coilover adjustable suspension on it an all nolathaned bushing with adjustable caster rods in the front and set up with a manual steering rack an a repainted engine bay. but has sat still for awhile now :(
    need to get back into it!