Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sidi v6 supercharged?

YATSIE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EQUIP
Hey just wondering what people thoughts were on the chances of holden offering a Supercharged option on there V6 with there next release later this year.., or would this detract from there V8 sales to much?

Just would be nice to have the option considering they used to have it...

Cheers

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
Yeah would be very nice but i thnk holden are focusing on more pure grunt all the time as in only natrully aspirated and leaving the blowers to HSV? suprises me hsv havnt looked at the sv6 tho

philsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
hmm ive been looking for ideas for my final year mechanical engineering project.......
tuning would be the biggest pita

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Holden are too worried about fuel economy with the v6 as its a major factor in purchases these days, i doubt theyd do it.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
holden doesnt want to kill the v8 like ford has, it would simply be too hard to make a forced v6, which would not take away sales from the v8, but still be competive against the xr6t,

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
HSV did a six years ago - didn't sell. Simple solution for a forced induction 6 to be viable is to make the SS stronger! (hello ford?) Bolting a blower or a turbo on an already torqey 6 is going to push it into current V8 territory - The purists (like me) will still buy V8s - but have the SSV a step above the SS performance-wise - and make it not just a bit quicker than the turbo, but A LOT quicker!!! (I'm thinking merc c63 AMG pace). Just a thought.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
nup..... grunt = V8, economy = small V6 sidi.

it's a good formula and they wont stuff around with it.

godspell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I agree with TinSnips here - I'd love to see Holden/HSV do something like Chevrolet do in terms of different models boasting different power levels. This 8kw difference between a Clubby and a GTS stuff is nonsense. The 0kw difference between an SS and an SS-V is a little disappointing.

Take the Corvette range as an example:

Standard/Convertible: 430hp
Z06 (427ci / 7.0L): 505hp
ZR1 (supercharged): 638hp

Now that's a V8 range!

It's also, incidentally, a great way to ensure that you don't have to spend the time/money developing a new V6 package. GM already has these motors and uprated driveline components to suit. Just a case of bolting the parts up and selling the new range!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Now you're talking! Holden would need to find a more cost effective way of doing it though. Like running the ls3 in the ssv and keeping the l98 for the SS. But wouldn't a 638hp GTS be a ball tearer! That would make room for a forced induction 6. May not be a financially viable situation but would make for some very fun cars!

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
Well if we are able to get our hands on that software upgrade from the states to open up the 6's to have the same specs from the caddies or pointiacs we would be sniffing behind the ss in no time...without opting to forced induction..