Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Signs of a failing fuel pump.

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
So I'm having issues with my car, can't get to the bottom of it anyways small things here and there are pointing towards fuel pump.
I'm getting a thud and shudder in acceleration feels as though it's coming from the rear, this accompanied with a high pitch squeal also coming from the rear. Anyways I'm wandering if that is a sign of a failing fuel pump and what are other signs? Thanks in advance

lilpiket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S, Vx S-pac (l67)
Is the thud a continues sound when your on the loud pedal... Usually when a fuel pump goes it will just stay on when your priming the car to start... What does it do when you just put the key in on without starting it...

My holdens better then your ford... Why... Because its a holden

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
It's like a one second thud however it goes with the shudder and continues to happen when accelerating fast and/or under load.
I've took the fuel cap off and as I turned the ignition to power but not starting heard the fuel pump starting.

Last edited:

lilpiket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S, Vx S-pac (l67)
Not sure could also be your maf is in need of cleaning... Fuel filter may be blocked or it could be the pump... If your getting enough pressure to start I would be looking more at the fuel filter or reg... Or the air intake side...

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
Ok well I've cleaned the maf with the mag cleanser and recently replaced the air filter roughly 2 months ago. As for the air intake I checked the main pipe and there aren't any leaks that I've noticed. Car starts in the blink of an eye, so I suppose that leaves the pump or reg, is the pump worth removing and checking it or just replace it?

lilpiket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S, Vx S-pac (l67)
To take it out its only a bolt a clamp and some wires so I would try that... I'm not thinking the internal pump is buggered they don't usually go... Check your fuel filter to though... Is just after the external pump...

lilpiket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S, Vx S-pac (l67)
I'm more leaning towards a fowled fuel line or filter... Or maybe your plugs are fowled try the basics that have to do with spark and fuel and air then go from there

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I had a VN which did this once and it was a faulty spark plug lead. It was open circuit so under load there wasn't enough voltage across the spark plug and it misfired which caused a jolt and shudder from under the car. Have you checked your spark plugs and leads?
Fuel pump on it's way will usually mean hard to start or rough idle or a loss of power due to the pressure dropping off. If the pump has done more than 200,000km think about a whole new unit. The mesh strainer needs to be changed every 200,000 km anyway, that's according to a VY service schedule. You can get a genuine unit for about $200 if you shop around.

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
Ok well I've changed the leads and plugs, oil, air and fuel filters and cleaned the maf. After I changed the leads it seemed to drop off a little but returned with a vengeance. It feels fuel related like there's a drain on the fuel line which is why I looked into the pump

lilpiket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S, Vx S-pac (l67)
Sounds like your pump or maybe the computers dropped a tune they have bin known to do that... But most likely the fuel pump or reg...