Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Simple Turbo or Supercharger question

v8man01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hey Guys,

Long time reader, never modded person speaking. VX SS Mid 13 pass once.

I know there is a lot about Supercharging and Turbocharging vehicles. Personally I would take a Centrifugal Charger like a V2 and put it on a V8. I know others like the Roots on type type.

I wanted to do a most basic setup possible, if it exists on an LS1 Engine. Essentially I know a Supercharger would be about 3.5k and kit about 2 or 3, installation maybe 2 or 3k.
I wanted to know what the cheapest least costing solution out there is. I've seen some Turbo chargers without a kit for $300.

I know the Turbo kit may generate less as a low costing setup is exactly that, but 60 or 70 kws more doesn't bother me.
Does anyone know the least expensive way to get it done, and what is exactly needed including lines, accessories, and whatever else. I have not technical experience.

Thank you
V8man

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Do it right or don't do it at all. Your looking at an easy 7 to 10k to do it properly with all the supporting mods.

v8man01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
As mentioned, looking for the least costing solution

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
side mount centrifugal charger would possibly cost the least. less stuff to change and it is really a bolt on option.
would be ideal to also upgrade some other parts at the same time to suit.

Turbos require manifolds and so forth, which can possibly end up costing a bit and also require some playing about.
Top mount Supercharger is awesome, but can have some fiddly bits about it.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
As above I'd say side mount supercharger like a vortex is cheapest start up.
Can run standard compression same as top mount . It will have a bit less low down torque but will come on stronger up top compared to the valley type supercharger .
With the superchargers you don't have to change exhaust until you want to , so as budget becomes available, eg : exhaust, intake, cam, forged bottom end, clean up heads, more boost:):);)

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah, forgot to say, budget for a intercooler, false economy not to which ever way you go , forced induction creates a heap of heat and intercooler will help maintain optimal performance

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
I have not technical experience.

looking for the least costing solution

Not wanting to sound rude but it sounds like you won't be doing any of the work yourself and you don't want to pay very much for someone else to do it.
Labour isn't cheap, either are quality parts.
The saying "poor man pay twice" springs to mind.