Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Simple Vs Engine Mods

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
Heya ppl, am new to this sit and have spent a bit of time going through the forums. I have a 96 VS Acclaim, 3.8 V6, and am looking for simple ways to improve the performance of my car. Can someone give me some tips, ideas and also not too pricey. Am looking to do it myself if I can.

Thanks, Andy

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Um, DIY. Put a K&N Pod on it

That's about all you can do yourself, also run it on optimax.

The rest of the mod's are those explained in other threads. Almost all V6's from VN-VT respond to the same minor mods.

Enjoy

Jake.

O

onezero

They're illegal and don't do anything besides improve throttle response.

fourstar82: Go get it breathing properly - Pacemaker headers, 2.5" exhaust (about $1000). Then get a LSD lower ratio diff (3.7, 3.9 or if you really want to feel where your money went 4.11) - that'll be about $1200.

Remember you'll never get this money back via re-sale, so think hard about spending much more.

However, if you want to go further - get a new blown crate motor, then you can go crazy... (Higher boost, roller rockers, etc).

R

Robbie

Are the pods Illegal? I got told that once but that was 1 out of 10 places I went to... The other 9 recommended the pod filter

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Pod's do more than improve throttle response, it has been discussed to death already and so have V6 mods, Im not in the mood to go into it and is exactly why I have not. You should really back up what you say with fact's onezero other than leading people in the wrong direction and being as vague as saying "Pod's do nothing" An exhaust isnt exactly DIY

Diff Gears- true but would you really recommend it to someone who isnt even sure where they should start?

Pod's are not illegal in all State's, contact your local transport authority for correct information.

Jake.

O

onezero

Overlooked the DIY part. I definately wouldn't recommend doing what I said yourself, even if you know what you're doing - it's always better to have someone else to do it so that when **** hits the fan you can go back and say, "Well what's the story?"

Sorry, in WA they're illegal. As OSL060 said, check within your own state.