Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

skyline heads????

nsladden

GET UTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Holden VP Ute S 5.0L & 1989 Holden VN 5sp Wag
Im quite sure that the cam is different & timing retarded but ill check as the person who told me this owns 2 Skylines AND a VL so ill find how much power each one makes. Maybe Nissan 'detuned' the engine as they wouldnt want the VL to be faster than their Skyline....

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
the two engines have the same power output which leads me to believe they are tuned the same. i work for a parts shop so i'll see if i can get my hands on a skyline manual and confirm

EDIT: did some research and yes they are the same, 53 teeth on both skyline and vl

Last edited:

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
but wasnt the big question about the diffrence over the the counting, in japan they count from 0, eg:0,1,2,3,4, etc and here we start from 1, wg:1,2,3,4 etc so the total workes out diffreant,

but then it gose back to why would holden bring over a engine in pieces then build it. when they designed the vl they had not alot of money and had to cut back on things and rebuilding the motor would cost for labour

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
i got a vl skyline rb30 in my car and a vl rb30 in the garage, there was a difference in where the harness ran, the type of connectors used, but the holden rocker cover fitted on the skyline head so i say theres no difference, just computer tune and maybe ignition timing maybe.
The power steering pumps used are different and alturnator but thats bout it.