Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SL springs

pikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute Manual 2009
Just got myself a set of Rear SL Springs for my SS Ute....I will attempt to change these myself and was looking for advice...anything to watch out for and is it a straight forward job ...Do I need a camber kit fitted as well? ..One garage was recommending this but others didn't mention it!

Thanks

Alan

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Jack from under the diff.
Remove both bottom shock bolts.
Leave hand brake off.
If it has factory springs still in it you may need spring compressors to help get them over the bump stop. You could try a long bar on the control arm/hub and have someone push down on it whilst you try to squeeze the originals out. Depends what your comfortable with.
Refitting shorter, new ones will be a breeze.

At SL height a camber kit wouldn't hurt but certainly isn't necessary.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
At the very least get a rear wheel alignment (tell then you have lowered it and make sure they check the rear wheels) and see what the camber is. Too much camber looks tacky and will chew through tyres a lot faster.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Its a ute. there is no adjustment in the arse end unless he's changed the rear arms/cradle.

pikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute Manual 2009
Thanks for your help/advice...Will have a go at this over the weekend...Let you know how its goes

Alan

pikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute Manual 2009
I managed to fit the new springs with no problems...I purchased a set of spring compressors (as suggested) that made it bit easier to get the original ones out and the new ones were easier to get in.
The sl springs i purchased were second hand and the vehicle now sits around 5mm difference in height per side...Could this be the springs/shocks or something else?

Any ideas

Alan

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Probably just a difference in the springs. Not uncommon. You can buy little spacer rubbers that sit on the bottom of the spring. They aren't expensive and alllow you to fine tune the height.

pikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute Manual 2009
Probably just a difference in the springs. Not uncommon. You can buy little spacer rubbers that sit on the bottom of the spring. They aren't expensive and alllow you to fine tune the height.

Thanks for your reply...Where would i be able to buy these spacers from