Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sleepas new VR work ute

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Some more pics of the "finished" product.

It doesn't look perfect, or anywhere near it as had to modify it a fair bit and haven't cleaned up the stick welds.
And certain parts needed some "patch panels" as I found some rust and it blew holes, so yeah, not great.

Point is it works, only issue I had is the middle muffler hanger is WAYYY too short, ends about 3 inches before the hanging point. But I managed to get the tailpipe sitting more or less correct, little bit out of alignment but should be fixed if I can get the middle muffler raised up slightly.

And here is a little video from my phone that I cut together to give you an idea of the sound.
A few seconds from outside and some from the cab. If you listen to this with good quality headphones it will sound nearly exactly like real life.

Last edited by a moderator:

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Decided to add some Caprice bits into the ute this afternoon.

I was mainly after the Caprice fill in panel above the glovebox, figured it would be easy. Of course I had to take half the dash out of the Caprice and the ute to get it in. Slightly modified it so that I can use my extra glovebox where the airbag usually sits in a VS.
I put in the Caprice Sun visors and replaced the clock with a VR Statesman one which has the Statesman Logo on it. And added in the Fog Light Switch.

Then I swapped a few interior panels over to match the colour better. The Series 2 Statesman I had previously had velour covered a pillars so I added them in also.

Then I decided to swap over the passenger side Caprice door trim, no pics but looks better then before :)

The interior is slowly getting there, I have to change the roof lining at some point to a darker Grey/blue one and also the Carpet and some lower plastics, might add in some of the Caprice roof electrics, speakers, lights, etc. And of course the Caprice electric leather seats are going in as they are super comfy.

Here is the dash originally (after I cleaned it up) a little bit of a difference now.

Last edited:

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Changed the Drivers side door trim to a Caprice one. Also looked at the power seat wiring and decided that can wait for another day in the future, not sure what I will have to do to the ute but it looks complicated.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, I have bought a new car to be used as a work vehicle as this ute is now too small for all my equipment.

I have started a new thread on it though, it's a VR wagon but it's going to get the same treatment as this ute :) Which means a few Caprice bits are going to come off here and onto the wagon.
Plans for the ute now include just tidying it up, changing to a normal statesman dash and console, some new paint on the front end and offering it for sale.

I will probably take the V8 out of here and put it in the wagon, but I will install a good 3.8 and auto back in.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well the ute is up for sale.

It has now been changed back to a 3.8 V6 with auto, The Caprice interior has been removed and a VR Statesman one is in it. The leather seats have been removed and the factory 3 seater is back in. The 18inch Koya rims are back on and the fibreglass hard lid and tub liner are in.

If anyone is interested let me know.

66 impala

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sedan and 66 impala
hi sleepa can you please contact me 0415870402