Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Slow Cranking, hard to start hot.

Alspos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 Sedan
I have a VN V8 that's a bitch to start when hot. Slow to crank over but it eventually fires most of the time. Wondering if just replacing the battery is going to fix it or if I should be looking for something else (Battery is a few years old) Never touched the starter in the whole time I've had the car. Had injectors serviced and cleaned about 12 months ago.

Any thoughts would be great.

Girl Torque

VL Calais 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais.. etc
Alspos said:
I have a VN V8 that's a bitch to start when hot. Slow to crank over but it eventually fires most of the time. Wondering if just replacing the battery is going to fix it or if I should be looking for something else (Battery is a few years old) Never touched the starter in the whole time I've had the car. Had injectors serviced and cleaned about 12 months ago.

Any thoughts would be great.

yeah Holden starters to get hot! I've had mine recon' and she's still not happy when hot (and my engine bay does get HOT). I'd go the rebuild (esp if you plan on keeping her long term) and have a good look at the wiring too. When she's hot - borrow a mates battery (that you KNOW is charged) and give it a burl. :) Do the free stuff first - sometimes it's simple stuff :)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I'd almost garuntee its a rooted coil. 5L's are prone to it, and it sounds like exactly what my car was doing when mine was screwed. If not that, it could even be the ignition module, same deal, 5L's prone to having them fark up.

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
Yeah, someone on here posted a fix for the 5L taking longer to crank over, replace the ignition relay.

S

shillanda

get the car checked over by an electricion before you go spending money on it, its worth them seeing!! maybe it has to do with wiring or the Crank sensor in your car , a DYNO test should show whats wrong with it,,,, it worked for me , my crank angle sensor was failing and when hot would not start, eventually it got worse and stopped and would start the next day.........
Shillanda

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
not sure the v8's had a crank angle sensor, as they use a distributer...

IhateRICE!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS Atlas Grey
hey alspos

I'm not sure i'm only 16 but would it be the coil. because my mums old car had the choclit block distrbutor and it used to make the whole car cut out until the engine cooled down and once it cooled down it could turn over without any trouble. so i'm proberly wrong. but all i did was change to the circle lookin one and then i've never had any other trouble so.

i'm wrong arnt i

I HATE RICEZS :rice:

DAMO_5L

ILLEGAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN turbo 5L V8 aero, Rodeo minitruck, VR SS 355
i got a VN 5L and it done the same thing, i replaced the battery and terminals changed the relay done nothin... the starter motor was floged out and when its hot would bearly turn over. try a new starter and new leads to the starter. it should solve the problem

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Replace the battery in your remote control. Once the battery degrades it doesn't disable the immobiliser completely which doesn't provide the correct voltage to the starter motor when the engine is hot. I presume that your cold starts are OK?

Alspos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 Sedan
Yeah, cold starts are ok, takes a little while to fire but always does. I don't think it's the remote battery cos even if you leave the keys in and on accessories (so the imobiliser won't come on) it still does it.