Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Slow power windows

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
My power windows in my VS are getting slower and slower, one has even stopped entirely. I know they would never be as fast as new car's windows, but it sounds as if they are seriously labouring on both the rise and the lower. I've also noticed a voltage drop while the window struggles. What is the likely cause of this? Motors, regulators, lubrication?

What should I start with?

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
put some dry lube on the weather seals and try it again, see if it speeds it up

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
I had a motor burn out, which had to be replaced. But before it did die it gradually struggled until it died. I use a silicon spray on the runners every week or two now and the windows don't struggle and run fine.

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
+1 for silicon spray in the runners.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Im sure i read this on here once before. I think it said the issue is more the rubber runners once its inside the door and not so much in the window frame itself. But that could complete bs too. But yeah, the fluff coating will wear off the rubber over time and just cause a rubber to glass friction and yes you can burn a motor out. Id go more for the MrSheen option as it dosnt attract dirt and dust to the rubbers which in time will cause more friction. Anything wet like (eg. wd40, lube sprays, oils) will only clag up with time.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Im sure i read this on here once before. I think it said the issue is more the rubber runners once its inside the door and not so much in the window frame itself. But that could complete bs too. But yeah, the fluff coating will wear off the rubber over time and just cause a rubber to glass friction and yes you can burn a motor out. Id go more for the MrSheen option as it dosnt attract dirt and dust to the rubbers which in time will cause more friction. Anything wet like (eg. wd40, lube sprays, oils) will only clag up with time.

As above. The runners towards the front of the car on the front doors need to be aligned. Also is this when the car is running? If the car is switched off thats your prob there. As your electronics run better when the alt is going. You want to use some lithium based grease for your tracks and that, its a far better grease for this as i have found.

vs hay hauler

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
had a vs that would do that, normally after sitting for a month. have the battery condition checked.

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
silicon spray as others have said and upgrade your wiring bigger cable to the alternator and biger cable from neg. on battery to the engine and the body of the car i did this and notices a improved speed with my windows and louder stereo plus a few other things factory wiring and battery terminals leave alot to be desired up grade them and you will be glad u did

Cpt Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 S II HBD VY SS , 04 VY S II Executive
Well both my VS's displayed the same symtoms, then one day BANG!. i've figured out it wasn't the runners needing lube though it did help but not the origin of the problem. It was in fact the rivets holding the

regulator to the door frame (two of four had sheared and the other two were loose and on their way out) loosening over time and slightly misaligning the regulator in its mounting. The window starts to get

slower and slower due to there being unstable mounts then you either bend a regulator arm or you shear a few rivets or both. so from my experience pull your door skin off wind the window down half way,

then check for play in the rivets by just giving everything a wiggle and give the glass a good tug up and down and if there is play replace the rivets with good grade bolts (even if theres no play IMO its very

wise to replace them anyway) dont ever put the bloody rivets back in because the problem will repeat (i found out the expensive way OEM regulators are $200+ and non OEM are cheaper but **** and will break

again and put you back at square one) use Good grade bolts.